• Investor
  • Janesville, WI
Votes |
LLC Structures for 100 properties

Chris Heeren
  • Investor
  • Janesville, WI
Posted Oct 19 2016, 09:09

I'm curious on how people with over 100 properties structure their entities. I currently have 34 properties (52 units) and have them split out over 3 different single member LLC's. Do other owners continue to create ever more LLC entities as they grow larger and larger? It seems to me that 5 maybe sufficient enough as if you end up losing an entire LLC to a lawsuit you would only be losing 20% of your portfolio, whether that be 2 properties or 200 properties.

Once someone has 5 or 6 entities, do you create a holding company to which you would reference as the main business name? I struggle on what to tell people the name of my company is as I technically now have 3 LLCs that buy properties. I'm planning to buy 30+ properties a year and trying to sort out the structure now before it's too far down the road. I've had lawyers tell me to create an LLC for each property I own . . . this is insane as each would need their own documents, filing fee's, checking accounts, insurance policies, etc.

Just looking for real world advice from people who may already be there. 

Loading replies...