• Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Looking for Partnership Structure Ideas

Tommy Coleman
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Posted Apr 25 2017, 11:53

Hello BP folks!  I am a Tech Exec that decided about 6 months ago to dive in and research the holy heck out of how to best approach shifting half my investment capital to real estate from just Stocks and Mutual funds.

I put my 4, 10 and 20 year goals together and then built a plan on how to hit each goal.

Then I started networking and learning everything I could here, books and networking with friends and other investors.

I initially landed on just going for appreciation in my town of Austin.  Investing is really tight here and rental income is not keeping pace with appreciation.  So basically most deals I would be even or cash flow negative to invest.

So then I researched my home town in Texas.  Texarkana, TX to be exact and here I can find decent cash flow, but the appreciation was nominal.  

My 4 year goal is to create $3k/month net passive income to pay for my kids college in 4 years.  I already have a lot saved for college....but how great would it feel if I could keep all of that and just have renters pay for my kids education!

Finally, I came across another area that sent me in a completely different direction.  This is an area that is building a lot vacation cabins and the numbers are the best I have seen in my research so far.  

My goal is to do 5-10 cabins over the next 4 years.  I have bought 2 lots myself and with a real estate agent (partner).

Now I would like advice on looking for other partners:  My thought would be this type of structure:

• I have put the entire thing together turnkey (Land, Builder, Construction, Furnishing and Decorations, Property Manager, everything)
  • My thought would be the investor would make the down payment:
    • We would initially split all equity and expenses 60/40.  The investor would get the extra 10% cash flow until their down payment was 75% paid back.
    • At that time the LLC would revert to a 50/50 equity, cash flow and expense partnership
  • The numbers in this area based on occupancy rate and rental rate and lot of due diligence are : Cap Rate 11.64% and Cash on Cash ROI of 31.34%
  • These are $400k + cabins

Sorry for the long message, just wanted to lay it out and see if anyone has structured investment partnerships like the above.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TC

Loading replies...