DBA? Streamlining communication & marketing with multiple LLCs

3 Replies

We are new investors that will be self-managing our properties, and I'm looking for advice regarding streamlining communication and marketing. More specifically, I'm wondering if creating a DBAing would help with this. 

Our situation: the name we used for our first LLC is a name we would like to continue using for communication and marketing purposes (for example, XYZ Group, LLC.); however, our other properties will all be owned by LLCs named after the property address or in our personal names. On the bookkeeping end of things, these properties will be handled individually, but I would like to have one email address, one business card, one google voice number, etc. for tenants. In other words, we would be XYZ Group to all tenants. I'm thinking that creating a DBA would help us accomplish this, but perhaps I'm missing something.

In part, we want to do this to make life easier for ourselves and tenants. Also, my husband and I both own businesses and while tenants do know our names, we would like to create some distance between our other professional lives and our tenants.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie,

My whole career is working as an accountant for mgmt firms. What you describe is what all of the places I worked for does.

Just use your first LLC as the main point of contacts for all.

For the tenants: When you bill them, the return mailing address should be

Property LLC

c/o XYZ Group, LLC

123 Main St.

City, State, Zip

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here