Which career would help best in Real Estate?

4 Replies

Hello B.P.! I'm pretty new in pursuing my passion in real estate. I'm currently a student but I would really like to hear from you guys. I graduated with a Business Degree and I only have 1 accounting course left in order to have a seat in taking the CPA exam. But, I am also considering in pursuing a law degree so I can use my accounting & law knowledge in order to make the best deals happen. I love challenges and making deals happen but I would really love to hear you're guys' input in it. 

I greatly appreciate your time and thank you.

Yes, all degrees you listed are relevant. But if you are trying to be an investor, in my opinion there is not better education than hands-on learning and you don't need any of them (though certain aspects definitely help as a foundation to build on). It is all going to depend on what exactly you would like to do within the real estate community (broker, lender, investor, private equity, etc.)

I think that a financial background or just a degree in finance would help the most. 

Also - something in communications would also be important. 

Real estate is a people business! 

Great! Thank you Colleen and Antoine. I just wanted a career that can strengthen my skills in the real estate market while also earning a high income. I just wanted to make sure I can see other people's point of view before I committed to the journey. I greatly appreciate it, guys :)

@Ronald Lopez

I feel like real estate is so broad and encompasses so many different things that you can have a career in almost anything and that skill will help you be a good real estate investor.

You like myself are accountants - we can understand real estate from a business standpoint(P&L, Cash flow etc).
Real Estate agents deal with real estate all the time and should know what is a good deal and what isin't
Contractors should be able to see what is wrong with a property and estimate what the rehab costs should be.

With that said - you should bring your skill to the table and hire people on items that you are not good at.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you