• Rental Property Investor
  • Providence, RI
Votes |
Partnership & Equity Structure

Nelson Taylor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Providence, RI
Posted Mar 7 2019, 04:37

I am not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I am a real estate broker and an investor.  I recently joined an equal partnership with two others--1/3 investment, 1/3 work, 1/3 equity.  In pursuit and through the closing of our first deal, it became apparent this structure was not working.  I was equal money, but given my 18-year real estate knowledge and the top-prioritization of this endeavor I was doing nearly all of the work.  And I worry that this will be the case in most partnerships given my knowledge of the market and industry. So, I have two questions,  1) If these two want to remain as "silent" investors, what type of "sponsor" equity is standard for me?  What is standard for the amount of investment expected of me as the "manager" (I presume any "silent" investor would want me to have some skin in the game)?  And finally, what % of equity is standard for "managers"?  2) Second question involves trading equity for work--for example, with someone who will provide all aspects of project and property management?  Are there any standards here?  And how would I protect myself should a person I trade equity for work decide to stop the work and just keep the equity?  I hope this all makes sense.  Thanks for any advice.

Loading replies...