Moving an rental to an LLC pros cons and insurance

1 Reply

Hello, I am looking for some options. I am looking to move my property to an LLC.

(1) what kind of insurance do I get. My current policy wont cover a LLC. It's currently under our name so it under our home owners policy

(2) is it easy to get equity loans if we want to buy additional properties 

@Angana Batki Hey there!

1) Well it depends on what the property is. State Farm has insured one of my SFH properties that I own in an LLC, but if it's 5 units or bigger and considered commercial, then you're going to have to find a commercial broker. Since an LLC is considered a legal entity, there should be no reason you should have any trouble finding insurance. Perhaps contacting your current policy holder and take out a new policy under the LLC and cancel the current one.

2) Is it every Easy? haha Once you turn over the property to an LLC, all loans, in my experience, will be in the commercial realm assuming your looking to do a basic HELOC and not some crazy collateral based loan.

We own all our properties in LLCs, not as crazy as every one in it's own LLC (too much paperwork and accounting) but everything is under the LLCs. We have no problem with financing, although we have only done' cash out refi and not HELOCs.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here