Business Plan Advice

5 Replies

So I'm trying to find my end goal and wanted to see if I was on track or not. My plan currently is to get 40 units that on average get $200 of cash flow per month. Once I get there I would shift my focus to holding for a couple years then selling properties in order to use the built up equity to pay off the mortgages on properties I already own. Essentially setting me up with around 13 or 14 units that are paid off. This in theory should increase my cash flow to the same level it would be at if I still had the 40 units all with mortgages. Same cash flow but with less properties and minimum debt. Just looking to see what you guys think.

@Joe Villeneuve that is a great question. I watched a webinar here on bigger pockets and on it Brandon said he looks for cash flow to be $100 being a 'base hit', $200 being a 'home run' and $300 or above being a grand slam. I assume I may end up having properties that don't so well and I should have a least a couple deals that do very well. That being said I still want my return on investment to be a good percentage too. I choose $200 as an average overall cash flow per unit because I feel like that is very attainable. I don't want to shoot for $100 per unit because that essentially doubles the amount of units I need to acquire. I choose not to to go higher than $200 because I'm not confident that is very attainable right now. Moving forward this is all subject to change depending on how things play out.

Terrible way to arrive at that number.  First, 200/month is way too low to even make me get out of bed in the morning.  300/month gets me out of bed...to see if I can make that deal give me a better cash flow.

Don't just fire numbers off.  Put a package of what can be done together with what you need to be done, and see if they play nice together

@Joe Villeneuve I appreciate your feedback. I agree it's not the best way to get to that but it's just a rough plan. After analyzing deals if I find enough properties that do have 300 or more cash flow then that's great and I can change the business model to reflect it. I'm just trying to be conservative. My plan will be to get the highest return as is everyone's. If everyone out here is doing better than $200 on all there properties them I will not even consider it. I'm just here to see what people think and try and take everything with an open mind.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you