Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

AirBNB Starting Out in Canada!!

Posted Jan 13 2022, 07:15

Hey Everyone!

It is a beautiful morning In Vancouver, B.C

Hope everyone is doing well. Just creating this post to hear some of your guy's stories about how your start-off process was when you started doing your first Airbnb rental.

lol I will take any good or bad stories! Also any wisdom learned along the way :)

Tom Glamuzina

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Dupuis
  • Investor
  • North Bay, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • North Bay, Ontario
Replied Jan 13 2022, 08:16

Hey @Tomislav Glamuzina We have recently embarked on short term rentals in Florida, Costa Rica and Mexico. Being a prodominently long term rentals investor, it was a little starnge at first analysing these deals. However just like anything else, once you do it enough times, it becomes second nature. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 25 2022, 09:17

Very Cool 😁 Florida, Costa Rica, and Mexico all sound very warm and I love that haha. Did you have any issues figuring out how to manage STRs from a distance with a company or did you manage to set up a system to do it all yourself?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 25 2022, 19:01

I am actually planning on buying a condo OOP in downtown Calgary, Alberta. I Traveled there not too long ago and definitely loved the downtown district. The purchase price is also significantly lower, which is nice. 

For STRs that are not relatively near, do most people tend to go with a managing company or try to manage it themselves? I'm sure some good systems can be set in place to make sure everything is all kosher... even if accidents/mishaps happen lol

User Stats

Votes
Stevo Sun
  • Calgary, AB
Votes |
  • Calgary, AB
Replied Jan 25 2022, 19:50

Hi everyone, I'm very interested in real estate investing in Canada. Just starting out looking to learn from everyone. I'm in Calgary AB. I want to build a community for Canadian investors, started a subreddit the other day. Let me know if you guys are interested in joining. Nothing in it yet, but figure gotta start some where.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 25 2022, 20:16

@Melanie Dupuis I'm also looking at STR in Costa Rica. Do you know the language or what's your method of getting around Spanish? Not sure where to start in that journey

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Dupuis
  • Investor
  • North Bay, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • North Bay, Ontario
Replied Jan 26 2022, 03:57

@Sailin Li Language has not been an issue at all for us! There are so many expat's there.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 26 2022, 05:59

@Melanie Dupuis haha just realized you are from NorthBay. I was there not too long ago as well, a very nice place I personally thought. Has that market been pretty favorable to you? I was thinking of a vacation home lol

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Dupuis
  • Investor
  • North Bay, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • North Bay, Ontario
Replied Jan 26 2022, 08:26

@Tomislav GlamuzinaThe market has gone up here, however it is still a very high cashflow market! You should buy a vacation house on Lake Nipissing or Trout. We personally have a cottage on Trout Lake.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 28 2022, 16:34

@Melanie Dupuis That's awesome to hear. I will definitely look into those places as well. I am hoping to have the time this year to plan a road trip and get to explore the area more. Thanks for the recommendation though!

For the Short term rentals that you have set up, did you first start off managing them yourself or did you get a management company?

User Stats

Votes
Stevo Sun
  • Calgary, AB
Votes |
  • Calgary, AB
Replied Jan 28 2022, 16:51

Would also like to know that answer. I feel like short term rentals is much more of an active investment.