Bird Dog Fee

8 Replies

Hi, I am just getting started and need to know how you come up with a figure for bird dogging. I am giving all info needed with the property with the exception of itemized cost for repairs.

Thank you!!!!

Hi Audrey,

We are based in Kansas City and pay $1000 to out bird dogs.

All they do is locate the property and arrange access. We take over from there.

Thanks and have a great day.

Engelo,

Do you sign agreement with your bird dog that they get paid on the HUD?

Joe Gore

Hi Joe,

No we don't.

I write them a check when we close.

Thanks

Engelo,

Thank you for your reply. I am assuming you pay the $1000 if you are interested in the property only....what are the advantages of being paid upfront vs. a percentage when sold?

Hi Audrey,

Most of our bird dogs already know exactly what we are after. We tend to buy 1 out of 3 houses they present to us.

They only get paid once the we actually own the property. We would never pay upfront.

Thanks.

Hi Engelo,

Thank you for responding to my questions....have a good weekend!

We are having our first dance with what I guess would be considered a bird dog. We recently struck an "arrangement" with a couple of the postal carriers in a neighbourhood where we are pursuing properties. We provided them each with a descriptive list of what we wanted, along with some example addresses.

If we close on a lead they provide us then we have agreed to pay them a finders fee {1K}. If we get the property under an option for a later purchase, we pay them 25% of the fee (and will pay the balance if/when we close).

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here