Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Chris Kreslins
Votes |
Need Advice: How to Cash Flow in 2022

Chris Kreslins
Posted May 7 2022, 19:04

Hello, I'm new to investing, and with the current prices against current rents, I'm finding it difficult to get properties to cash flow. As far as I know, I am pretty thorough with the calculators. Is it just me?  Or is it the current state of the market? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Corbin Loveless
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Knoxville, TN
Replied May 10 2022, 06:08

@James Wachob I don't know if you remember this but we actually met in a burned-down house on Ivy road in 38117 two years ago! Going to shoot you a PM to hear more about your success!

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied May 10 2022, 06:10

@Chris Kreslins 

If you're looking on the MLS, you'll be hard-pressed to find something that cashflows.

You should:

1) Source your own deals before the seller gets to an agent

2) Find properties you can reposition as STR

3) Find other ways to reposition a property to increase cashflow/value- convert a garage or den to a bedroom, etc.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Kreslins
Votes |
Replied May 10 2022, 09:39

I appreciate all the responses! I have found many of your posts to be insightful! Glad to be part of the BP community.
-Chris

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 10 2022, 09:45
Quote from @Chris Kreslins:

Hello, I'm new to investing, and with the current prices against current rents, I'm finding it difficult to get properties to cash flow. As far as I know, I am pretty thorough with the calculators. Is it just me?  Or is it the current state of the market? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Chris, 
I am still finding deals that are great on cash flow and appreciation. Maybe it is the market you are looking at? You should consider investing OOS here in Columbus or Cincinnati. The price to rent ratio makes for great investments. Not to mention our appreciation has been 8% higher then the US national average, because of the high demand for affordable housing.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Ringer
  • Portland, OR / SW Florida
Votes |
Replied May 10 2022, 17:33

Everything cash flows. Put 100% down and you’ll have cash flow. The question to answer is what is your minimum return you’ll accept on your cash? From there the strategy to get that # becomes more clear. 

User Stats

Votes
James Wachob
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Replied May 11 2022, 03:45

@Corbin Loveless only real estate investors could appreciate that opening... "I don't know if you remember this but we actually met in a burned-down house on Ivy road in 38117 two years ago!"

LOVE IT!

Yes Sir I remember that one... great to hear from you!

User Stats

Votes
Corbin Loveless
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Knoxville, TN
Replied May 12 2022, 07:39

@James Wachob haha you're exactly right, look forward to connecting!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Kreslins
Votes |
Replied May 13 2022, 12:05

Okay so here are my number on one I'm looking at today. This puts me $300 in the hole each month. What would you do to tweak this? or is it just what it is and I need to keep looking for a better deal?

Price: 299,000
Closing Costs: 5980
Down payment: 74,750
Interest: 6.5
30 yr conv loan
2 Units: $2000 total
Prop Tax: 308/mo
Insurance: 75/mo
Repairs and Maintenance: 5%
Vacancy: 5%
Capital Exp: 5%
Property Mang: 10%
Utilities: 0

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Ringer
Votes |
Replied May 13 2022, 15:00

Okay so here are my number on one I'm looking at today. This puts me $300 in the hole each month. What would you do to tweak this? or is it just what it is and I need to keep looking for a better deal?

Price: 299,000
Closing Costs: 5980
Down payment: 74,750
Interest: 6.5
30 yr conv loan
2 Units: $2000 total
Prop Tax: 308/mo
Insurance: 75/mo
Repairs and Maintenance: 5%
Vacancy: 5%
Capital Exp: 5%
Property Mang: 10%
Utilities: 0

As is doesn't look like it works, but you've not given us enough info to really be helpful. Can you fix up the units and get more rent? Can you generate income from the property from something besides rent? (Convert space into secure storage, laundry that you charge for, RUBS on utilities, etc?). Can you increase rent by maximizing space? (2 bedrooms but you can figure out a way to add a 3rd). Also, as I mentioned above, what is the minimum cash on cash return you're willing to accept? Pay cash for this place, using your numbers, and you're probably around 5% CoC. Is that good for you? If. It what % are you looking for? Then try to figure out if you can hit that % by making some adjustments I mention here. If you can't find a way to hit your # then you just move on to the next one.

Hope this helps,

Matt

User Stats

Votes
Matt M Antonio
  • New to Real Estate
  • Spokane County
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Spokane County
Replied May 20 2022, 21:52

I recently bought small multifamily in Spokane County and it's a house hack. The property is operating between 12-15% COC return. Impossible is the wrong word to use, you have to make it a deal instead of finding the deal.

User Stats

Votes
James Wenzel
  • Investor
  • Texas
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Texas
Replied May 20 2022, 22:26

Cash flow is tightening a little, however prices will also adjust a little. Look at major metros and locations that have affordable cost of living, limited supply, growing population and job markets etc... Im finding plenty of cash flowing deals in most of the major metros in Texas, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Carolinas. Need to juice your cash flow, you can always add short term rentals to your portfolio. Usually 3-8x of what a normal long term rental cash flows. I just converted 3 of my single families to STR.

I also started investing more in commercial real estate syndications.  Most of the deals I invest in usually pay a 7-10% pref and typical ARR is over 20%. Last year I had 4 passive investments run full cycle and all returned >30% ARR.   

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Kelly
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 21 2022, 06:42

@Chris Kreslins as others have mentioned, long-term rentals are just one strategy you could consider. If you really believe in the location and long-term appreciation prospects, you could also consider short-term rentals, mid-term rentals (furnished and month-to-month), rent-by-the-room, house hacking, BRRRR to increase rent yields, just to name a few. The question isn't "does it cash flow?" but rather "how can I make it cash flow?"

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied May 22 2022, 13:48

@Chris Kreslins You have already received great advise here. 

Understand your personal goals and situation and invest in market(s) that support your goals while exploring all the listed strategies to cash flow on any property.

Goodluck

User Stats

Votes
Zierry Eme Carl T. Tagbas
  • Realtor
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Spokane, WA
Replied May 23 2022, 16:10

Hello Chris! That is so awesome that you want to invest in real estate! Just based on some experience with clients, there's definitely still some house that does cash flow. However, these client's have put down a lot of downpayment and are not house hacking. In my experience, about 12 months ago I purchased a duplex in Cheney. I am house hacking it right now, therefore, I am not cash flowing (but my property is appreciating too) BUT once I leave the unit - it will be cash flowing for me.

Good luck out there! If you have any questions, please feel free to connect with me and I'd be happy to answer them!

User Stats

Votes
Agraj Sobti
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Aug 30 2022, 16:57
Quote from @Chad McMahan:

Hi Chris.
If your (or your realtor's) numbers are not showing at least 20% cash on cash returns, move on. There is still plenty of money to be made. For my clients, I target a minimum of 20% and usually hit closer to 30%+.

Hey Chad, how are you able to achieve 20% COC returns? I would be interested to know more

User Stats

Votes
Chad McMahan
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Sedona, AZ
Votes |
  • Sedona, AZ
Replied Aug 31 2022, 10:15

Hi Chris.
You're not alone- I'm seeing quite a few posts reflecting concern about cash flow, now that we are not in the crazy climb market we were experiencing up to 6 months ago.

I have the opposite perspective. Right now is the best opportunity to buy cash flow (STR's and LTR's) properties, that I have seen since 2009. Amazing inventory hitting the market, great buying prices and terms. My clients (and my own purchases) that have more recently closed escrow are getting strong bookings/occupancy and are pacing for cash on cash returns around 20%-38%. As long as you have it dialed in and use a proven system it's not hard to get great returns.

No strings, if I can point you in the right direction, let me know.

Realty One Group Mountain Desert Logo
Account Closed
  • Spokane Valley, WA
Votes |
  • Spokane Valley, WA
Replied Sep 29 2022, 19:16

Spokane was a cash flowing city back in 2019.  Not possible anymore.  Spokane County fastest growing county in WA.  CDA - fastest growing city in the nation.  I'd look out of state.  Anything decent here is going for $455K.  Meaning not built in the 70's 1,500 to 2,000 sq.ft. 3 bed 2.5 bath... ya thats a $2,900 mortgage with today's rates.  Jerome and boys will increase rates again .75 in November.  This ship has sailed. 

Account Closed
  • Spokane Valley, WA
Votes |
  • Spokane Valley, WA
Replied Sep 29 2022, 19:23
Quote from @Sachin Moozhikulam:

With home prices being as high as they are, when I factor in the mortgage payment (P&I), it's been nearly impossible to find a cash flowing rental. Maybe these market conditions are less than ideal for LTR? Maybe I simply haven't found a good enough deal, I'm not sure. I am new to this and slowly learning but currently, my analysis is yielding the same conclusion as yours. 

Spokane was a cash flowing city back in 2019. Not possible anymore. Spokane County fastest growing county in WA. CDA - fastest growing city in the nation. I'd look out of state. Anything decent here is going for $455K. Meaning not built in the 70's 1,500 to 2,000 sq.ft. 3 bed 2.5 bath... ya thats a $2,900 mortgage with today's rates. Jerome and boys will increase rates again .75 in November. This ship has sailed.

User Stats

Votes
Jin Zhang
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 5 2023, 09:42
Quote from @Chad McMahan:

Hi Chris.
You're not alone- I'm seeing quite a few posts reflecting concern about cash flow, now that we are not in the crazy climb market we were experiencing up to 6 months ago.

I have the opposite perspective. Right now is the best opportunity to buy cash flow (STR's and LTR's) properties, that I have seen since 2009. Amazing inventory hitting the market, great buying prices and terms. My clients (and my own purchases) that have more recently closed escrow are getting strong bookings/occupancy and are pacing for cash on cash returns around 20%-38%. As long as you have it dialed in and use a proven system it's not hard to get great returns.

No strings, if I can point you in the right direction, let me know.

Hi Chad, thank you for sharing your experience with everyone! I am curious if you are paying a significant lower than market price to get the 20% to 40% COC return? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Chad McMahan
  • Sedona, AZ
Votes |
  • Sedona, AZ
Replied Jan 5 2023, 10:58

Hi Chris.
Great to see you again.

My clients are still doing great in the current market, because their properties POP on the STR rental market. This is the most important factor when it comes to STR performance and your profit. For LTR's POP is important, but other property factors more heavily influence your income.

Realty One Group Mountain Desert Logo

User Stats

Votes
Detro Bell
  • New to Real Estate
  • spokane, WA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • spokane, WA
Replied Jan 10 2023, 20:28

Base on the Market research i have been doing in this area, this is a appreciation market with limited cash flow you have to buy and hold. 

User Stats

Votes
Corbin Loveless
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Knoxville, TN
Replied Jan 11 2023, 09:09

Borrowing @Matthew Ringer's line from above- everything cash flows when you pay cash...

One of the opportunities that I see in the current market is cashing out on a portfolio that's appreciated massively over the past few years and reinvesting with cash. If you have a portfolio of rentals, odds are likely you have equity. Using a 1031 and paying cash for some bulletproof investments is a great way to hedge inflation/potential recession and still be "in the market" IMO.