Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Jared Baker
Pro Member
  • Hartford, WI
Votes |
Someone offered to be my mentor, now what??

Jared Baker
Pro Member
  • Hartford, WI
Posted May 17 2022, 10:39

I'll put this here as it somewhat applies.

I was recently at a wedding and in the usual mingle started discussing things with various people.  One individual and I started talking and as the conversation wrapped up they said they would love to help guide me along the path of becoming a contractor.

I'm not sure what my next step is from here.  I don't know this person at all, literally just met them at the wedding.  I would love for them to help me along my journey but not sure what is the best approach as I do not want to do something that would derail what could be a great relationship.

Do I set up a lunch to start talking about what are the first things I need to start doing?  Something else?

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 17 2022, 10:58

Good Job,

How much was ole' king Alcohol talking and how much might really happen (???)

If it were me I'd either call his cellular about an hour after lunch, but not too much after and just talk and find out what HE means by this.

Then ask about grabbing a lunch somewhere together tomorrow--he might want you to work for him too--so be ready for that.

I say that because you have to know your trade if you are going to contract, and some require a licence and X years as an apprentice.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 17 2022, 15:35

The fact that you're posting here is a curious sign. This guy is going to mentor you, but you don't feel comfortable enough to ask him this question?

Maybe the alcohol was talking and you're not right for each other. Don't enter a partnership unless you're all in.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied May 17 2022, 19:17

How about meeting him again 
and have a list of  thought out questions ahead of time.

User Stats

Votes
Jared Baker
Pro Member
  • Hartford, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Hartford, WI
Replied May 18 2022, 05:45

Thanks for the comments all.  Firstly I do want to say that it is actually a "her", not him, credit where credit is due afterall.
  @Nathan Gesneryou make a good point, however I must say I see many posts about finding a mentor or people recommending finding one, but I would say I see next to none on what is the next thing to do.  It is always said that there is both a give and take in these relationships, so the last thing that I want to do is make it all about me per-say, where I am just going to them with my questions and looking for answers on those.  Or perhaps that is how a mentorship is supposed to work?  Again, since this is new to me I don't want to go setup lunch where I start asking all these questions for getting me started only for it to end there because that is not how it should have been approached.  I would assume there is something that they get out of the deal as well.  Perhaps it is the reward of helping us young folk get started or maybe its something more tangible.  Whatever the case I do want to make sure that I'm not making an assumption about how it should be approached as I have little knowledge when it comes to the mentorship thing.

On a recent podcast they talked about building up rapport with sellers of properties.  Slightly different, but is that where I would need to start here as well?  Not focusing on actually getting my business setup/started, but just getting to know them more over the next few months before I start to dive into getting things going for my business?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 17 2022, 09:30

brother You gotta learn how to be a top g with business and with the ladies. She offered that to you, she wants it

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 17 2022, 19:55

Call him and tell him you're ready to help. Keep it simple