Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Austin Murphy
Votes |
First time investor from Tech

Austin Murphy
Posted May 17 2022, 11:46

Hi all - I’ve had a pretty serious windfall recently and had an exit from a startup and a new role at a major company with a pretty crazy compensation structure. 

I have about $500K cash and will additionally have about $75k every 3 months or so to invest.

My plan was to buy a rental property every 3 (50k from savings and $75k from quarterly RSUs = $125k) months until I have 10 properties, then save up and take stock, reassess, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce D. Kowal
Tax & Financial Services
  • Metro NY + New Bedford
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Metro NY + New Bedford
Replied May 17 2022, 12:10

No one asked me, but with that savings, you should consider medical school.  

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Marie Trinh
  • Banker
  • Denver CO
Votes |
  • Banker
  • Denver CO
Replied May 17 2022, 13:20

Niceee! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Austin Murphy
Votes |
Replied May 17 2022, 14:58
Quote from @Bruce D. Kowal:

No one asked me, but with that savings, you should consider medical school.  

Bruce - My tech offer was very very generous. I am not a young man, but live in the SF Bay Area where property I would live to purchase for myself isn’t within reach. I’m mostly a stock market investor.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 17 2022, 15:37
Quote from @Austin Murphy:

Hi all - I’ve had a pretty serious windfall recently and had an exit from a startup and a new role at a major company with a pretty crazy compensation structure. 

I have about $500K cash and will additionally have about $75k every 3 months or so to invest.

My plan was to buy a rental property every 3 (50k from savings and $75k from quarterly RSUs = $125k) months until I have 10 properties, then save up and take stock, reassess, etc.

Learn about self storage. Paul Moore has a good book in the bookstore, plus blogs and forum posts. Henry Clarke and a few others are very sharp in this market. Someone like Paul Moore has tried his hand at just about everything over the last 30+ years and he says self-storage is the only thing he's investing in now. I bought a small storage unit last year and manage it myself with 3-4 hours a week, no leaking toilets, nobody locked out on a Saturday night, no domestics, etc. It's the easiest gig and cash flows A LOT better than residential rentals.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied May 18 2022, 03:59

@Austin Murphy congratulations.  Do you already own a primary?  Buy one, make sure you like being a landlord, and go from there.

User Stats

Votes
Jared Hottle
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Replied May 18 2022, 04:43

This is a great situation to be in and glad you are looking at investing instead of just spending your new found money. You have a lot of options on the table which is exciting! I love the BRRR strategy and with your cash you should be able to fund the purchase and rehab with cash and be able to refi once the project is done. Obviously you have money coming in but the ability to get most or all of your money out of a deal will allow you to scale quickly use that money and your 75k each month to do a couple at a time. I think I would not set a number on how many to do. Just work your systems and make sure your systems and team have the bandwidth to scale up.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 18 2022, 09:05

@Austin Murphy why can't you househack in the Bay Area? I know people who have done it

The Moorhead Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 18 2022, 09:17

@Austin Murphy I'd look into getting into syndications or larger deals if you're ok being passive. With that amount of money you could really diversify throughout the country.

User Stats

Votes
Nick Riccio
  • Lender
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Boston, MA
Replied May 19 2022, 05:28

@Austin Murphy Congrats on the major win! That's great. 

I think a lot depends on where you are at currently. Do you already have the real estate knowledge? Or, would you be looking to learn as you go? If you're learning, my advice would be to start small with a house hack which will allow you to have hands-on experience and learn the ropes. As @Conner Olsen mentions, I'd simultaneously look into partnering with someone more advanced and provide capital in exchange for learning the ropes.

User Stats

Votes
Danny Webber
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker / Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker / Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 26 2022, 06:07

That is a very generic plan. You need to sit down and run 5, 10 and 15 year investment goals. ROI, when, reinvestment, markets, etc...

• Broker Texas (#524009) and TX (#278296)

Texas United Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Paul Moore
Pro Member
  • Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager
  • Lynchburg, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager
  • Lynchburg, VA
Replied May 27 2022, 11:53

@Austin Murphy congratulations that is a wonderful windfall! Thanks for the shoutout above @Nathan Gesner

If I were you, I would seriously assess whether or not you want to be an active property manager. I’ve talked to about 2000 (my guess) prospective investors over the last decade and the vast majority who have great income and great jobs, or a great retirement, or a family, have found that it’s very hard, even grueling, to manage individual properties. Often the returns are far less than expected. I think you could potentially make just as much money with a hands-off approach by investing in syndications or funds. If you are interested in that path, you might want to check out @Whitney Sewell's podcast The Real Estate Syndication Show and @Brian Burke's excellent book The Hands-Off Investor. You may also want to check out Jim Pfeifer’s excellent community called Left Field Investors. Good luck and feel free to reach out if I can help further.