• Missouri
Votes |
Find a place to start

Roman Katz
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Missouri
Posted May 17 2022, 14:39

Hello,

I am a 17 year old who is trying to become a real estate agent. I currently live in Kansas and want to move to get away from everyone I know. I feel as though it will help with distractions such as partying. I think I want to go to Utah to begin my journey. Next year I am getting my license and taking a finance and intro to real estate class all while in high school. Is it smart to go straight from high school into being an agent? Where are some other places I should think about moving? I want somewhere that has a low cost of living but will see growth in population as time goes by. Please reach out if you have any advice.

User Stats

Votes
Logan McKay Zylstra
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied May 17 2022, 15:15

Roman, I would definitely consider visiting the places you want to move to before you make the leap. I am originally from CA and love Utah.

Couple of things to consider:

1. You can certainly learn how to market yourself as a real estate agent and get business that way, but most agents get a lot of business through who they already have personal connections with (SOI).

2. Being an agent, the money you make is extremely uneven. Some months you can literally make nothing. Something to consider before you move, do you have enough cash saved to continue to live.

3. I wish I would have gotten my license out of high school. You'll have some growing pains when you first get into the industry so I would be sure to join a team/get a mentor to teach you and keep you accountable.

4. Only get your license in the state where you plan to live and work. They are only valid in the state that you get them in.

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied May 17 2022, 15:17

I went straight into being an agent at 18. It is hard but worth it. Fast forward 4 years and God has blessed me having a career in it. It opens up opportunities and you can earn 6/7 figures to invest and build wealth.  I worked another job for 8 ish months then went full time. I was blessed to live at home so my expenses were lower. If you have that luxury do it. If you move to Utah you'll have to completely restart and it might put a strain. Weigh that out. If you struggle with distractions where you are now then you will if you move. Deal with it now. Be disciplined. Start to intern and learn. Read as many books as you can and listen to podcasts. The great thing about starting young is time to learn and fail, utilize it. Best of luck! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Logan McKay Zylstra
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied May 17 2022, 15:23

@Caleb Brown @Roman Katz

Caleb really nailed it.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Sheeks
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied May 18 2022, 06:54

Hey @Roman Katz

Congrats on your ambition!

Bigger Pockets recently published a book just for you (and all other teens). It's called First to a Million. You should check it out! If you have questions about the book, let me know. I am the author. :-)

In addition, DM me if you are interested in an online community of young, like-minded individuals.

Best of luck to you! Dan