• Investor
  • Mesa, AZ
Votes |
Conventional loans after Chapter 7 bankruptcy

Michael Hartman
  • Investor
  • Mesa, AZ
Posted May 17 2022, 19:42

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy and this October 2022 will be 2 years after the case was closed.  I have a credit score over 700 and have improved on it since I filed.  I have researched and seen that for a conventional loan the waiting period is 4 years.  Is that a fixed requirement or is it possible to get a conventional loan sooner if you show improvements in credit score and financial habits?

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied May 17 2022, 23:16

Michael,

You can get a loan now without any waiting.  There are programs that allow you to refinance within the 1 mark actually with a score at or above 680.  The biggest thing after a Bankruptcy is making sure you have no late payments in the last 12-24 months reported to credit.  But since you have a 700 credit score that would be unlikely so looks like your good to go!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 17 2022, 16:27

Michael,

I just file CH 7 bankruptcy in October. How did you increase your credit score to the 700 mark in 2 years? I just opened a new revolving LOC to Help me, but I'm looking for other ways as well.

Kay

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.