Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Henry Maldonado
Votes |
Home Rehabs-What advice would you give someone on their 1st-Rehab

Henry Maldonado
Posted Jul 7 2022, 12:31

I want to begin rehabbing homes and then reselling in the Indianapolis area. I do HVAC/Plumbing - cabinet installs and flooring.  I want to make some connections. I'd like to see what experts have learned along their journey and what they would do different knowing what they know now. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 7 2022, 13:37

Spend time when finding the right home. As someone in the trades, you can roughly tell how much work you need to do. Some stuff you want to know beforehand

Roof estimate cost

How far away is the dump

How far away is home depot

Will you rent / How much are rents in the area ?

Insurance quote

Can I finance the finished product ?

Check the outlets/ breaker box 

User Stats

Votes
Henry Maldonado
Votes |
Replied Jul 7 2022, 17:59

Very good tips. Thank you very much. How would you determine the After rehab value of a property? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes
Account Closed
  • Savannah, GA
Votes |
  • Savannah, GA
Replied Jul 7 2022, 18:04

Get multiple quotes, and don’t necessarily pick the lowest one. Pick the one that makes you most comfortable that you’ll get a good result for a good price.

User Stats

Votes
Juan V Lopez
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 7 2022, 19:50
Henry, this is great. I recently helped my sister and brother in law purchase a short-term rental property and renovate it (he does tile, painting, cabinets, a little bit of electrical, etc just like you).

What I would recommend to you is to connect with investor-friendly agents in the Indianapolis area. If there are local Facebook groups for investor agents, join the groups and ask there. You can also go into the Network here in BiggerPockets and look for investor agents in that area.

Tell them what you are looking for (for example: Single family home, max purchase price $200,000, needs work). Then they can send you properties that fit your criteria. They are also able to tell you what the ARVs are (comparable sales).

Since you do the renovations yourself, you have an advantage over many investors because you can keep renovation costs down and do estimates yourself. Once you get to a home and do a walk-through, you can see if the deal would work for you and make you money once you sold it (based on the ARV).

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions here or DM if you need help. Wish you the best, brother.

User Stats

Votes
Nick Giulioni
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Carmel, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Carmel, IN
Replied Jul 8 2022, 04:09

Hi Henry, I'm into flipping myself here in Indianapolis. I would love to help/connect with you if you're interested.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 8 2022, 09:48

Just make sure your numbers are right. Its not rocket science (though many make it seem that way LOL ) . its ALL about the numbers 

Good Luck 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Onwuka
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Randolph, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Randolph, MA
Replied Jul 8 2022, 10:03

I would always start by the numbers and be conservative with the ARV. Especially with the market changing, you always want to see it as a best case and worst case scenario in order to plan ahead!

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jul 8 2022, 16:09

@Henry Maldonado the big ticket things like roof and HVAC are easy to determine. Same with the cosmetics. It's the hidden things that you should worry about. Indianapolis has a lot of older homes which could mean old, out dated electrical and plumbing. Also, older homes tend to have clay sewage pipes which may have cracks or breaks. That can be very expensive to replace. I would have your sewage and main water lines inspected and then get a 3rd party warranty on them. You can get a warranty for around $20/mth and it's well worth it.

User Stats

Votes
Henry Maldonado
Votes |
Replied Jul 8 2022, 19:29
Quote from @Juan V Lopez:
Henry, this is great. I recently helped my sister and brother in law purchase a short-term rental property and renovate it (he does tile, painting, cabinets, a little bit of electrical, etc just like you).

What I would recommend to you is to connect with investor-friendly agents in the Indianapolis area. If there are local Facebook groups for investor agents, join the groups and ask there. You can also go into the Network here in BiggerPockets and look for investor agents in that area.

Tell them what you are looking for (for example: Single family home, max purchase price $200,000, needs work). Then they can send you properties that fit your criteria. They are also able to tell you what the ARVs are (comparable sales).

Since you do the renovations yourself, you have an advantage over many investors because you can keep renovation costs down and do estimates yourself. Once you get to a home and do a walk-through, you can see if the deal would work for you and make you money once you sold it (based on the ARV).

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions here or DM if you need help. Wish you the best, brother.

Very helpful insights. Thank you very much. Ill be sure to DM you. This is a great network for investors. 

User Stats

Votes
Henry Maldonado
Votes |
Replied Jul 8 2022, 19:31
Quote from @Mike D'Arrigo:

@Henry Maldonado the big ticket things like roof and HVAC are easy to determine. Same with the cosmetics. It's the hidden things that you should worry about. Indianapolis has a lot of older homes which could mean old, out dated electrical and plumbing. Also, older homes tend to have clay sewage pipes which may have cracks or breaks. That can be very expensive to replace. I would have your sewage and main water lines inspected and then get a 3rd party warranty on them. You can get a warranty for around $20/mth and it's well worth it.

Agree on the roof. Ill probably make myself a punch list to makre sure i analyze all needed repairs to determine if a project is worth it or not.

User Stats

Votes
Jayson Cain
  • Lender
  • Manhattan Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Manhattan Beach, CA
Replied Aug 10 2022, 10:46

Hi! @Henry Maldonado I have started my out-of-state real estate journey in Indianapolis. Now, I have a portfolio of long-term rentals and STRs. I've also helped other investors with their DSCR loans and flip projects. Happy to share my experiences and chat with you more if you're interested.