Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Matt Rekowski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Madison, WI
Votes |
Save cash to BRRRR? Or finance and jump in?

Matt Rekowski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Madison, WI
Posted Sep 8 2022, 14:56

Hi everyone,

Looking to start my real estate investing journey. I'm a fairly high earner and 26 years old. I'm leaning toward primarily doing BRRRR, however, I'm assuming it's going to take me some time (maybe 2-3 years) to save the cash necessary to buy my first property. I already max out all of my pre-tax retirement avenues, and that seems like a lot of time saving and waiting with a high opportunity cost in this current market, rather than jumping in and buying a rental property with traditional financing.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Hopefully this makes some sense.

Thanks so much in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Karl McGarvey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Sep 8 2022, 15:17

Checkout Hard Money lenders. They charge you for their convenience, but they can get you into properties quickly and some help you directly with the Refi process.

User Stats

Votes
Cayden Standlee
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Sep 19 2022, 08:41

@Matt Rekowski if you are looking to get started, financing isn't a bad option to start. This will allow you to get a feel for REI and understand the fundamentals. Also, as you mentioned, you will be waiting to get into a BRRRR situation. Financing will allow you to get a unit and hit the ground running, while also using that first unit to build into a BRRRR in the future.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help!

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Lindsey Johnson
  • Realtor
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Sep 19 2022, 08:47

@Matt Rekowski As a high earner with a good W2 I would GO FOR IT. If you have taken the time to educate yourself and you are confident in your ability to analyze and source a deal, have chosen a niche to capitalize on the value you add, and have an exit strategy dialed, then yes your money will work way harder for you over time in RE than anywhere else. Educate yourself then send it!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Sep 19 2022, 09:46

If you can BRRRR, I would go ahead and BRRRR. It's just you usually need a private lender (or saved up cash) and, of course, a good deal to BRRRR.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Leonard
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Milwaukee
Replied Sep 19 2022, 13:45

I agree with Cayden. Financing is a great way to make your first investment, as it is a less "nerve-racking" and emotional experience putting 25% down on a property compared to 100%. Using bank financing will get you the experience you need before you jump in and BRRRR your first property. Additionally, if you finance a property that needs some renovations, you could always put "sweat equity" into the property, and pull that equity back out with a refinance when you're ready to do your first BRRRR in a few years. That way, the money you put down on your first investment won't be taken away from your cash pool for your first BRRRR.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Rekowski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Madison, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Madison, WI
Replied Sep 19 2022, 13:58

Thank you everyone for the responses. The advice has been really helpful and has given me a lot to think about. Much appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Aj Parikh
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Centreville, VA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Centreville, VA
Replied Sep 19 2022, 18:57

Hi Matt! Have you given any thought to investing out of state? Long Distance investing has been easier than ever. I worked with a couple of turnkey companies to get started and I have been able to scale my portfolio to 12 units in Cleveland, OH. Feel free to reach out if you want to discuss. 

User Stats

Votes
Matt Rekowski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Madison, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Madison, WI
Replied Oct 21 2022, 08:35

Thanks for that, AJ! Definitely appreciate the insight. We‘re definitely going to be doing some long distance REI in the future, maybe in a year or two once we have our system better refined in our current farm area. I'll keep you in mind in the future though - thanks again!