Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Nolan
Votes |
First time builder of trailer park

Nathan Nolan
Posted Sep 10 2022, 09:05

Hi, I have around 40 acres of property in Southeastern Kentucky and I want to start a trailer park. I don't have extra money but I have the property, what is my best course of action to find an investor? I have a partner and we are ready to go. I have a place to buy trailers very cheap and we are going to refurbish them on our own. We can get everything settled at around 10 to 14,000 per trailer.  Thanks for any advise!

User Stats

Votes
David Braut
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Grass Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Grass Valley, CA
Replied Sep 10 2022, 09:27

Have you first checked with your local municipality to see if they will allow a trailer park?  You want to make sure you're legal before you get started.  Most places won't allow them to be built anymore.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Nolan
Votes |
Replied Sep 10 2022, 09:33
Quote from @David Braut:

Have you first checked with your local municipality to see if they will allow a trailer park?  You want to make sure you're legal before you get started.  Most places won't allow them to be built anymore.

Absolutely, my land is unrestricted, trailers are welcome in my area bc it's a low income area, there are a few trailer parks around. 
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
David Braut
  • Grass Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Grass Valley, CA
Replied Sep 10 2022, 10:14

Just because there are trailer parks around does not mean that your county/municipality will allow a new one to be constructed.  Those other parks are either permitted and will continue to be "grandfathered" or they are illegal and at risk of being shut down.  Its imperative to check with your local government to see about the permitting process before moving any further.  Any investor will require proof of this.  

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Nolan
Votes |
Replied Sep 10 2022, 10:37
Quote from @David Braut:

Just because there are trailer parks around does not mean that your county/municipality will allow a new one to be constructed.  Those other parks are either permitted and will continue to be "grandfathered" or they are illegal and at risk of being shut down.  Its imperative to check with your local government to see about the permitting process before moving any further.  Any investor will require proof of this.  

I see, thank you for that information. I'll check on it first thing Monday morning. I was under the impression that unrestricted didn't matter, I stand corrected.

User Stats

Votes
Barry Ruby
  • Developer
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Boulder, CO
Replied Sep 10 2022, 13:52

@Nathan Nolan have you created a site plan that shows phased development, designed ingress/egress, internal circulation, description, cost and placement of wet and dry utilities?

These types of things are needed to establish a budget, capital stack, know where to place homes and related improvements and process and secure permits.