Skip to content
Starting Out
Account Closed
Votes |
Multifamily & SFH+ADU realtors & lenders

Account Closed
Posted Sep 16 2022, 15:39

Hi there - First time home buyer here. I'm looking for lenders and real estate agents in San Diego who have actual personal experience (their own investments, not just vicariously through their clients) house hacking (buying a *multifamily* property like a duplex; living in one unit; & renting out the other) and/or buying a single family home & renting out an ADU on the property. pls message me if so. Also, to be clear: I am not interested in house hacking a SFH- I am not trying to have housemates or actually live in the same unit as any renters…Thx!

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#3 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Sep 16 2022, 15:45

Hey @Account Closed

Working with an investor-friendly mortgage broker could be a great option. There are plenty of agents that have investing experience. 

So you are looking to house hack the duplex? If so, you can use 75% of the rental income from the other unit for your DTI to qualify. Also will you be buying on your own or with a partner? Getting Pre-Approved first, wouldn't be a bad idea.

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Madison Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Sep 19 2022, 14:27

Hi Lisa,

My brokerage specializes in buy/sell residential, investment real estate, short term rentals, and property management! I work on a team with the managing brokers at Class Realty Group. Personally, they own 4 units in Mission Beach (3 short term rentals and 1 office space) as well as we manage 20+ rental properties for clients. They just recently flipped a duplex near Torrey Pines & Del Mar adding 2 ADU's on the property. They recently rented out both units, 1 unit as a long-term rental and the other as a short-term rental.

Therefore, we have kept a close watch on STRO in San Diego. A few concerns we have are:

• What are my chances of getting a Tier 3 (Pacific Beach) or Tier 4 (Mission Beach) License for short term rentals?
  • Will the reduction of short-term rentals increase rental inventory so much that long term rents go down and vacancy increases significantly?
  • Will those that do not get a license choose to sell all at one time in an already cooling/uncertain real estate market?

Although we don't have all the answers, we have spent quite a bit of time analyzing the data provided by the City of San Diego and would be happy to share the insights with you! Hope this was somewhat helpful and would be happy to connect and chat more!

Published STRO Implementation timeline:

• October 3rd, 2022 – Application Period Opens for all STRO license Tiers
    • November 30th, 2022 – Tier 3 & Tier 4 License Period Closes
    • December 16th, 2022 – Lottery conducted & hosts notified of the results
    • January 6th, 2023 – Tier 3 & Tier 4 License Fees Due
    • May 1st, 2023 – STRO Ordinance Implementation Date
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nicolas Trejo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego
Replied Oct 27 2022, 22:50

I own multiple 5+ apartment communities in San Diego since 2018.  Lets connect if interested.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Coulter
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Replied Oct 28 2022, 20:34

@Account Closed I close on a duplex Tuesday in NorthPark. I will be living for free while using Air bnb to rent out the front!