Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Kayela Sartain
Votes |
Septic issue with a VA loan

Kayela Sartain
Posted Sep 16 2022, 18:15

We just bought a home in Mantachie using a VA loan. The home we bought is a 4 bed/ 3 bath, 2557 sq ft, on an acre. We just discovered that we have no septic tank and our sewage is running out on the neighbors property. How do i go about contacting someone to see if this legal? Im assuming here, but i would think that if this was inspected properly for a VA laon that this wouldnt pass the appraisal process. There is no way that we can afford to have a septic system put in. We havent even made our 1st mortgage payment yet. Please help!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Replied Sep 16 2022, 18:56
Quote from @Kayela Sartain:

We just bought a home in Mantachie using a VA loan. The home we bought is a 4 bed/ 3 bath, 2557 sq ft, on an acre. We just discovered that we have no septic tank and our sewage is running out on the neighbors property. How do i go about contacting someone to see if this legal? Im assuming here, but i would think that if this was inspected properly for a VA laon that this wouldnt pass the appraisal process. There is no way that we can afford to have a septic system put in. We havent even made our 1st mortgage payment yet. Please help!

I think it is more likely your septic is there but it is clogged. Have you called a septic company to have the tank drained or drain field inspected? That will answer the question of whether you have a septic system or not. The seller knows if there was a problem before selling, I can guarantee it. ;-)   Then, if there is no septic or if it's faulty, I'd call the real estate agent you used and ask for the next step.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 17 2022, 02:25

Did you have a home inspection done? Call the inspector and ask him about it.

Did your realtor add a home warranty policy in the purchase? I always try to negotiate it for my buyers and the seller pays for it. Ask your realtor or review your purchase contract. 

I am not sure if your estate is a non-disclosure state, check with your realtor. I also think that you most likely have a septic tank but it's probably full. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Johnny Lynum
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leesburg, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leesburg, VA
Replied Sep 17 2022, 04:05

@Kayela Sartain This is definitely unfortunate. I would definitely contact your home inspector and have look further into it and work through your realtor to get more info from the seller. Two big items to find out is whether you purchased with an As-Is contract and whether the seller was legally supposed to disclose this information.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Sep 17 2022, 04:52

No, it is not legal anywhere in the United States of America for your sewage to run out onto the ground.

Your purchase process should have included an inspection of the property. Did anyone inspect? Did anyone advise you to inspect? 

Contact a sanitation company. They can pump the tank and inspect it with a camera to see what's going on. You need to fix this immediately before the neighbor catches wind of it (pun intended) and decides to sue. Putting in a new septic would be cheaper than paying for damaging your neighbor's property/health or getting hit with an environmental hazard violation.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo