• Rental Property Investor
  • Southeastern NC
Votes |
Finding a Good Short Term Rental Deal

Monica McCaskill
  • Southeastern NC
Posted Sep 19 2022, 10:21

I am new to real estate investing and I am reading "The Book on Rental Property Investing."  I am looking to find an investment property in my area, but the market in my area is very high at the moment. There are a few deals for beach front condos that need a little TLC. I am looking for advice on long term vs. short term rentals. To the people who have short term rentals: Is it typical to have cash flow each month from these properties, after the mortgage and expenses (including high HOAs due to beach front)? What vacancy rate do you use when evaluating these properties? 

User Stats

Votes
Lake Lutes
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Walton Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Walton Beach, FL
Replied Sep 19 2022, 11:50

Hey Monica! Congrats on taking the leap into real estate investing! Exciting stuff.

Short term vs long term investing have a number of key differences. Short term land-lording is more involved, and typically requires a little bit higher risk tolerance through dry months, higher insurance rates, etc. However - like everything - this doesn't apply in all scenarios. I am an investor friendly agent on Florida's Emerald coast from Pensacola to Destin to PCB, and 90% of the clients I deal with are after short term rentals. The cashflow is great out here.

For long term, there is usually a bit less involvement, but typically lower cashflow will follow in today's high rate, high appreciation market.

Let me know if you want to check out some short term rentals in Florida and I can run you through some numbers!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Sep 20 2022, 04:49
Quote from @Monica McCaskill:

Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums!

The number of occupancy days vary based on locale, quality of home, size of home, and many other factors.

In my market, I can get about 200 days of occupancy at nightly rates. The remainder of the year is as a month-to-month rental at a reduced rate, but still higher than I would get with an ordinary long-term rental. My short-term rental nets more than double what I would earn with a long-term rental, and that's after paying 20% management fee. If I managed it myself I would easily earn up to 4x more than a long-term rental.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Monica McCaskill
  • Southeastern NC
Votes |
  • Southeastern NC
Replied Sep 20 2022, 07:04

Thank you so much for your responses! Great info to help me make an informed decision.