Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Jerell Edmonds
  • New to Real Estate
  • Rhode Island
Votes |
Starting out! MF Investing. How did you start?

Jerell Edmonds
  • New to Real Estate
  • Rhode Island
Posted Sep 21 2022, 09:59

Hello everyone . I just have a quick question . Now I want to invest OOS but everyone says buy in your own neighborhood first which I understand. My question is say I do buy my first MF rental and house hack it could I use another loan say a conventional loan and purchase one OOS with a 20% down payment would that be doable? Or is there restrictions and would this have a great impact on my DTI. Still in the New England area which is pricey an I know I said cash flow wasn't the most important thing we def would not like to be cash flow negative either. Because the houses we ran numbers on would more than likely cash flow negative unless i'm doing something wrong but then again I know this area is very high so that's why we're looking more towards investing OOS.

User Stats

Votes
Ian Halter
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Sep 22 2022, 14:59

If you want to scale quickly, I would not house hack at this time. Labor and materials are very expensive and with rates where they are, net operating income/cash flow (unless you put 20% down) will be slim unless you can find a steal in a B/C neighborhood or grab a home on the East Side (where competition is still high). House Hacking a MF into 2-3 separate condos will require the buildings be up to code and inspected, requiring permits, zoning, repairs, utility splitting and renovations. House Hacking, from what I've read, ultimately it comes down to hidden costs. A good overview can be found here - https://andysirkin.com/subdivi...

Finding a deal locally is more advantageous than OOS for many reasons, which I won't cover here. You need to prioritize your financial goals. If scaling is more important, then spreading capital over multiple OOS deals makes more sense; however you will be more exposed to more variable costs. Investing here allows you to control cost better, but with higher capex.

Ultimately you can be more diversified in OOS (like Ohio you were looking at), but more susceptible to unexpected high costs. Good boots on the ground can help you here.

You can be more savvy and learn fast investing here, however more of capital will be tied up. A great agent and contractor will go further than anything else for your first MF.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Sep 22 2022, 15:07

@Jerell Edmonds 1) pick a scenario and get pre approved for this scenario ..you can always adjust the pre aprpoval as needed based on what you actually end up doing ...buying OOS or in state wont make any difference with the pre approval ...2) you will likely need a large down payment for the rental ..15% or more if buying a SFR and 25% if buying a 2-4 ....3) the rental income from the new proeprty is determined by the appraiser when appraisal is done 4) conventional loan with 20% down is possible for the new loan ...5) pricing for the rental property loan will have higher rates / fees as compared to primary home loan

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jerell Edmonds
  • New to Real Estate
  • Rhode Island
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Rhode Island
Replied Sep 27 2022, 09:44
Quote from @Dave Skow:

@Jerell Edmonds 1) pick a scenario and get pre approved for this scenario ..you can always adjust the pre aprpoval as needed based on what you actually end up doing ...buying OOS or in state wont make any difference with the pre approval ...2) you will likely need a large down payment for the rental ..15% or more if buying a SFR and 25% if buying a 2-4 ....3) the rental income from the new proeprty is determined by the appraiser when appraisal is done 4) conventional loan with 20% down is possible for the new loan ...5) pricing for the rental property loan will have higher rates / fees as compared to primary home loan

Thank you so much for the information!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Sep 27 2022, 10:25

@Jerell Edmonds- you are  welcome  ...anytime ....let me know if you hve any other loan/ mortgage / pre approval  needs or  questions 

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Oct 17 2022, 17:35

@Jerell Edmonds

Multifamily investing has many factors and hence you need to learn about the process.

Start by learning as much as you can and working as an agent will give you lot of experience and knowledge.

Join real estate investment clubs.

Get in touch with a local agent or investor and shorten your learning curve and save you a lot of headaches as they tend to understand the market better.

All the best!