Votes
Rachael Beissel
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Certified Public Accountant for beginners

Rachael Beissel
  • New to Real Estate
Posted Oct 3 2022, 18:36

I am a beginner real estate investor in Minneapolis, MN. I'm working on purchasing my first rental property, and I'm curious when is a good time to start talking to/working with a CPA. Any suggestions on how to find a CPA who specializes in real estate investing, or tips on this topic? 

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Strom
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Oct 4 2022, 12:17

@Rachael Beissel It really depends on what you are currently doing (i.e. currently using an accountant vs Turbo Tax) and your future RE goals. I've got a few local recommendations I'd be happy to send you!

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Anshus
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Bloomington MN (bloomington, mn)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Bloomington MN (bloomington, mn)
Replied Oct 5 2022, 05:17

@Rachael Beissel @John Woodrich is the best in the cities, but unfortunately I think he is filled up. But he has some good recommendations so you can reach out to him. Or I can give you his email

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Woodrich
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Oct 5 2022, 07:40

Hi Rachel,

I would recommend you start talking to a CPA when you are in contract to purchase your property.  You could reach out to someone beforehand but after you will have more questions to ask them and they can also talk to you about what and how you should start tracking expenses.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Runke
  • Homeowner
  • South Saint Paul
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • South Saint Paul
Replied Dec 4 2022, 09:31
Quote from @Alyssa Strom:

@Rachael Beissel It really depends on what you are currently doing (i.e. currently using an accountant vs Turbo Tax) and your future RE goals. I've got a few local recommendations I'd be happy to send you!

I'm in a similar boat, I've been doing TurboTax for the past couple of years for my Saint Paul Duplex, but am wanting to get some additional help to maximize the tax advantages of real estate. 

Do you have any recommendations in Saint Paul/Woodbury/East metro area? Thanks!