Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Jason Raynor
Votes |
Where can I find meeting for RE that I (16yr old) can sit in on?

Jason Raynor
Posted Oct 11 2022, 06:08

I would love to attend some meetings and see how real estate works first hand so I can take notes and learn as much as I can before I'm old enough to get my RE license. I live in the middle of NC and I'd also like to find a way to be a bird dogger in my area so I can make side money while gaining experience. How do I start this and where can I find/meet people and places for this?

User Stats

Votes
Gene Hacker
  • Investor and Home Inspector
  • Lake Isabella, CA
Votes |
  • Lake Isabella, CA
Replied Oct 11 2022, 07:56

Check out the events page on bigger pockets and meetup.com and go to any local real estate investing meetup that is not in a bar.  

I have run a local meetup in California for 7 or 8 years now.  Several times we have had 16-year-olds come without their parents.  Everyone was eager to help them. Most investors wish they got started when they were younger so they are excited to see a younger person with drive and determination.  

So just go for it!

User Stats

Votes
Jason Raynor
Votes |
Replied Oct 11 2022, 16:56
Quote from @Gene Hacker:

Check out the events page on bigger pockets and meetup.com and go to any local real estate investing meetup that is not in a bar.  

I have run a local meetup in California for 7 or 8 years now.  Several times we have had 16-year-olds come without their parents.  Everyone was eager to help them. Most investors wish they got started when they were younger so they are excited to see a younger person with drive and determination.  

So just go for it!

Thanks! I was actually able to find one and it's NOV. 17th I'm a bit nervous but wish me luck!!

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Gene Hacker
  • Lake Isabella, CA
Votes |
  • Lake Isabella, CA
Replied Oct 11 2022, 20:02

Don't be nervous.  Just be yourself and be open to learning. "Networking" can be a bit awkward at first but it is something that gets easier with practice. If the first meetup doesn't go perfectly, don't let that get to you.  And the tone or vibe is different depending on who is hosting it and the format, so if one isn't a great fit, possibly try another one.  

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Oct 12 2022, 04:50
Quote from @Jason Raynor:

I would love to attend some meetings and see how real estate works first hand so I can take notes and learn as much as I can before I'm old enough to get my RE license. I live in the middle of NC and I'd also like to find a way to be a bird dogger in my area so I can make side money while gaining experience. How do I start this and where can I find/meet people and places for this?

One of the problems is that many of the meetups occur in bars. I'm glad you were able to find one.

Don't be so nervous. In my experience, most the people attending are trying to sell something or they are a wanna-be with no experience. Be careful with both. Try to find the real investors with more than just a few years of experience. If you get lucky, there'll be some grey-haired/bald guys with decades of experience that are honestly there to share. Take a note pad. Try to learn the topic in advance, read up on it, and be prepared with a few really good questions, even if you already know the answer. 

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jason Raynor
Votes |
Replied Oct 12 2022, 05:00

Thank you, most of these have dress outlines such as business casual or formal depending on the setting of the meeting, however would a pair of chinos, tucked collar shirt and belt work. I'm big on first impressions so any input will help.

User Stats

Votes
Keith Brown
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hickory
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hickory
Replied Dec 6 2022, 17:10

Hey if you are still interested there will be a meet up in Hickory NC in january. Let me know if you would like more details. 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 6 2022, 22:03

You can sit in on any real estate meeting. If you need help DM me