Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Abigail Atkinson
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
Looking to Invest out of State (GA or FL)

Abigail Atkinson
  • Orange County, CA
Posted Oct 14 2022, 14:43

Hello! I am currently living in California, which makes it very difficult to not only find financing for a multifamily property, but to also find a deal that cash flows. I am hoping to start investing in multifamily and storage units in either Atlanta, GA or Jacksonville, FL and I'd love to connect with any rookie or experienced investors currently investing in those markets. My goal is to ensure they are good options for out-of-state markets and to meet people I can learn from or even learn with. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Marshall Leipprandt
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miramar Beach FL and Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miramar Beach FL and Los Angeles, CA
Replied Oct 14 2022, 15:18

@Abigail Atkinson I split my time between SoCal and the FL Panhandle. I currently only own and manage single-family LTRs and STRs, but overall think FL is a solid place for multifamily properties and storage units. I'm always looking in NW FL for multi-families but inventory is nearly nonexistent in the Panhandle. There will be more by the larger cities obviously, but storage units are doing well just about everywhere in the state. I was looking at one near Pensacola, but didn't have the time to try and make it happen. It was near several military bases which is a great place to position a storage unit facility in my opinion given that most military members are moving every 2-3 years and deploying which means they are always moving/storing their stuff.

Are you pretty set on Jacksonville? Any particular reason for that area or Georgia other than cash-flow?

User Stats

Votes
Abigail Atkinson
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Oct 14 2022, 21:34

@Marshall Leipprandt I've been doing a lot of research in the Southeast and both of Atlanta and Jacksonville seem to have the most opportunities and are both growing. Also, I've been to Atlanta and my sister lived in Jacksonville for a while. I currently just manage a few STR and work on some development projects with an investor but I'm considering getting my license in FL. I'd love to connect and pick your brain about the opportunities out there. I'll message you.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Sklare
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Beloit, WI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Beloit, WI
Replied Oct 15 2022, 11:01
Quote from @Abigail Atkinson:

Hello! I am currently living in California, which makes it very difficult to not only find financing for a multifamily property, but to also find a deal that cash flows. I am hoping to start investing in multifamily and storage units in either Atlanta, GA or Jacksonville, FL and I'd love to connect with any rookie or experienced investors currently investing in those markets. My goal is to ensure they are good options for out-of-state markets and to meet people I can learn from or even learn with. Thanks!

Hi Abigail and congratulations on getting started.  I recommend taking a look at Wisconsin for cash flowing deals.  Check your inbox, thanks much and good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Aj Parikh
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Centreville, VA
Votes |
  • Centreville, VA
Replied Oct 15 2022, 12:18

Hi Abigail, One of the easiest ways of getting started in real estate today is to invest in turnkey properties out of state. If you have a busy 9-5 routine but have the money to get started and don't have enough time, turnkey companies provide some of the best resources to scale your portfolio. I have used that strategy so feel free to reach out if you want to discuss.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Reynolds
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Oct 15 2022, 21:34

Abigail, have you looked into investing in Short Term rentals within a 2 hour drive of Orange County? It's a great way to find cashflow in SoCal and have a vacation home you can visit when you want. I currently have clients looking in Big Bear and Joshua Tree. Let me know if it's something that interests you. 

The David Greene Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Patrick C. Bellamy
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Oct 19 2022, 05:57

Hey Abigail, I'm in the Atlanta area and own several SFH with LTRs. My plan is to grow equity and transition into MFH. I'm learning construction and DIY renovations while building relationships with individuals and companies that specialize in all aspects of renovation, repair, and construction. The reason I'm telling you all this is because finding properties you can fix up is CLUTCH to this industry. Turnkeys are great but you'll be paying a premium and have less ROI. Partnerships and relationships is where it's at. If you are looking to do long distance investing I would definitely work on networking, partnering with a few on smaller deals to see if it's a fit and THEN jump into MFH together. You can do it and just keep after it!

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Oct 19 2022, 07:37

Hey Abigail,

I am an acquisitions analyst at a real estate advisory firm in Denver called Tangible Wealth Solutions and we actually specialize in helping clients invest in our two out-of-state markets where we can find cash flow and appreciation prospects. If you are interested, I would be more than happy to hop on a call and go over those two markets and why we like them. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 20 2022, 07:44

Hey Abigail I would love to connect with you.  I have sent you a PM.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Lara
  • Contractor
  • Texas
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Texas
Replied Oct 20 2022, 08:00
Quote from @Marshall Leipprandt:

@Abigail Atkinson I split my time between SoCal and the FL Panhandle. I currently only own and manage single-family LTRs and STRs, but overall think FL is a solid place for multifamily properties and storage units. I'm always looking in NW FL for multi-families but inventory is nearly nonexistent in the Panhandle. There will be more by the larger cities obviously, but storage units are doing well just about everywhere in the state. I was looking at one near Pensacola, but didn't have the time to try and make it happen. It was near several military bases which is a great place to position a storage unit facility in my opinion given that most military members are moving every 2-3 years and deploying which means they are always moving/storing their stuff.

Are you pretty set on Jacksonville? Any particular reason for that area or Georgia other than cash-flow?

I have also found inventory low to non existent. At least, non existent for good deals. I have a solution for markets that need that inventory, would like to connect with others finding the same problem and are looking for a possible solution.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Lara
  • Contractor
  • Texas
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Texas
Replied Oct 20 2022, 08:03

Hey Abigail, Im also looking for MF opportunities in the south. Would love to connect and bounce some ideas off you. I have a development project that could help out. 

User Stats

Votes
Andres Murillo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 18 2023, 12:00

Hey Abigail! I'm based here in SoCal and have spent the past 6 years helping investors purchase throughout GA, NC, AL, and CA. Most of my clients start out looking in other states in order to find cash flow but quickly realize neighborhood and strategy insights are roadblocks. I help investors overcome those roadblocks. I PM'd you with my email address in case you are curious to learn more.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 18 2023, 12:21

Hello! I am currently living in California, which makes it very difficult to not only find financing for a multifamily property, but to also find a deal that cash flows. I am hoping to start investing in multifamily and storage units in either Atlanta, GA or Jacksonville, FL and I'd love to connect with any rookie or experienced investors currently investing in those markets. My goal is to ensure they are good options for out-of-state markets and to meet people I can learn from or even learn with. Thanks

;t=116s

This is a good video to look at the 10 high cash flow markets. Ohio is on that list twice. We have great markets here so if you are open to other markets I would take a look at what we have here. With so many huge corporations choosing to set up shop here it is a great market to invest in. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes