Tyler Vargha
  • Midvale, UT
Votes |
Good CoC and cash flow for SLC

Tyler Vargha
  • Midvale, UT
Posted Oct 19 2022, 06:29

Hi, 

I have been doing house hacking and being a landlord for the last 5 years and am trying to set myself up for my second property right now. The plan is to house hack it as well, buy a third property just for myself, and then use the first and second properties cash flow to fund a down payment for the fourth property etc. My question though is what is considered good CoC and cash flow for Salt Lake County? I'm mostly talking about the east side or better neighborhoods. My current property has a 9% CoC and a $1,000 Cash flow (SFH with mother in law). What percentages seem like a good deal for you in the Utah area? Other info on current property: 3.25% interest rate, 3,400 SQ ft, purchased last year in April.

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 19 2022, 06:42
Quote from @Tyler Vargha:

Hi, 

I have been doing house hacking and being a landlord for the last 5 years and am trying to set myself up for my second property right now. The plan is to house hack it as well, buy a third property just for myself, and then use the first and second properties cash flow to fund a down payment for the fourth property etc. My question though is what is considered good CoC and cash flow for Salt Lake County? I'm mostly talking about the east side or better neighborhoods. My current property has a 9% CoC and a $1,000 Cash flow (SFH with mother in law). What percentages seem like a good deal for you in the Utah area? Other info on current property: 3.25% interest rate, 3,400 SQ ft, purchased last year in April.

Can’t give you specific SLC advice, but what I do is analyze 10 deals, figure out what the average is and then determine where I want to be with return and what’s realistic.

User Stats

Votes
Jocelyn Kaufman
  • Realtor
  • Utah
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Utah
Replied Oct 25 2022, 20:51

It all depends on multiple factors. I am confident you can find a good COC return in Utah if you are buying the property as your primary residence (House hacking). I sent you a message if you want to chat more in detail about your situation.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes