• Rental Property Investor
  • Newport, KY
Votes |
Tent problem with mice

Saidah Johnson
  • Newport, KY
Posted Oct 23 2022, 11:28

Hello all, hoping to get some advice regarding the uncomfortable topic of mice. I am currently house hacking a duplex in Newport Ky. About two months ago I was in my tents house, and I saw a mouse run across the floor. We have lived here for about a year, and this was the first time I had ever seen any mice. I immediately called Orkin to come out and look at the house. I also went out and bought traps, and we ended up catching one that night and Orkin came out the following Monday. Over the next two months she caught 5 mice in her house. At this point, I had never seen any mice in my house. (The other side of the duplex) Fast forward to the beginning of October my other tent, who lives with me on my side of the duplex, saw a mouse in her room, then a few days later in the kitchen. Again, I called Orkin to come out, and put down traps, however, we have not caught any mice so far. 

Now to the problem, I believe that I have gotten all the mice out of tent A's house, I have sealed up all the holes and put down some mice and rodent deterrent down, so they don't come back.  In my house, I have not caught a single mouse. The tent that lives in my house seems very afraid of seeing mice and them being in the house. Tenet B has said things like "seeing these mice have affected my mental health and I am not sure what to do" I am not sure if she is suggesting that she wants to move out, or something else. 

Am I doing everything that I should do, as a landlord? Is there more I should do? 

Thanks for your help. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 23 2022, 13:44

Sounds like you have done all that a landlord can do. You addressed things with common sense and a hired a professional. Unless the tenant is contributing to an infestation or there is a nest nearby, it may take time to clear up. The other tenant may be hinting at an early exit but why anticipate something that hasn’t happened yet? As of now, you have done your due diligence and her only option is a nonrenewal of the lease. One other consideration to explore is if you were the tenant, what would you expect the landlord to do?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Oct 24 2022, 05:05
Quote from @Saidah Johnson:

Why mice on her side and not on yours? It could be a matter of general housekeeping. If she has food or water accessible, the mice may be attracted to her side. This is probably more common with pet owners that leave pet food out all the time.

Traps catch mice when they are already inside the house. I can't believe Orkin didn't do more to prevent them from coming in. I use bait stations like these: 

https://www.amazon.com/Extermi...

and bait:

https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-...

The mice eat the bait and die before ever trying to get inside the house. Set these outside near points of entry for mice. I set one on each corner of my property and check them every 1-2 months to ensure the bait is topped off. I haven't had a mouse inside the house for two years. Before using these, the place was infested and I would catch 5-6 a week inside the house.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Saidah Johnson
  • Newport, KY
Votes |
  • Newport, KY
Replied Nov 3 2022, 16:32

Nathan Gesner, thank you so much for your advice. I am still having a lot of trouble with mice in my first tenant's house. I am starting to lose faith in Orkin, because seems like they are not doing much. I will try the bate traps, but I think they might be coming from my basement.   

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 3 2022, 16:59
Quote from @Saidah Johnson:

Nathan Gesner, thank you so much for your advice. I am still having a lot of trouble with mice in my first tenant's house. I am starting to lose faith in Orkin, because seems like they are not doing much. I will try the bate traps, but I think they might be coming from my basement.   

Sorry to hear that. Bait stations are the way to go!

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo