Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
William Cook
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
What would you do to create a kitchen space in this area?

William Cook
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Posted Oct 30 2022, 09:07

Hey everyone, recently acquired an investment property with a mother in law basement setup. There is a space for a kitchen but it has a strange set back wall with a sink. I have a few ideas on designing a kitchen layout but wondering what other ideas are out there? 

Notes: 
-Carpeting will be replaced with LVP throughout 
-Wood paneling will either be removed or painted over (filling in gaps, sanding, etc) 
-Considering closing off the sunken in space to make the wall flush? 
-This will be turned into an airbnb rental so it doesn't need a ton or storage/spacious 
-Looking for layout ideas rather than finishes

Kitchen areaOne rough sketch idea If your back were facing the sink area. Corner could be used as storage space

User Stats

Votes
Malcomb Stapel
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Topeka, KS
Replied Oct 30 2022, 10:14

@William Cook the obvious place for the new sink is where the old one is (plumbing is already there and will save you a ton of hassle in a basement). The inset is a little strange. You could consider removing the mirror and making some sort of panel feature both where the mirror was, and the two walls that run parallel to it. Rather than concealing it, make a bold feature out of it. 

Another thought; but it's hard to tell from how far away you took the photos, is to remove the paneling and stud wall to the immediate right of the inset, then hook your counters back along that long wall, essentially turning it into an L. However, this may not be possible as that might be right where the concrete T's in to reinforce the long basement wall. You could poke and inspection hole and see if that's the case.  

User Stats

Votes
William Cook
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Oct 30 2022, 17:19

Thanks for your ideas, I hadn't though about getting rid of the wall to the right of the inset. I like the idea of playing into the inset too. I was thinking of adding a tile backsplash instead of the mirror and doing deep cabinets/counter in the inset area. The cabinets that are currently there are very shallow. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 30 2022, 20:21

Tear down that wall and see where your water connection is. That could be expensive to move the hot and cold water to the sink 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 30 2022, 23:45

Pet resistant carpet and underlay and sheet vinyl flooring.

Proper doors, maybe ADA wide, even though its downstairs, just to feel bigger.

Maybe wainscoting, with painted sheet rock above. 

Maybe faux exposed beams in the living room.

Black one wall Nordic style kitchen with gold handles, stainless appliances all matching manufacturer.

Wet Bar near the Grandparent chair in the living room, either cream or black to match kitchen.

Running water, a bar sink and glassware like a bar has. Bottom is mini-fridge for beer and wine, plus a blender for margaritas.

Big black storage cabinet in kitchen for winter coats, or food, vacuum cleaner, or whatever.

I think the knotty pine with a soft sheen, and the black cabinets with a soft sheen work well together.

Note: Right click open in a new tab is a bigger picture.

Just my 2 cents.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 31 2022, 11:03

A clear (shot) of the mini-bar.

Note: Right click open in a new tab is a bigger picture.