Votes
DaVina Williams
Pro Member
Votes |
Best Rehab Financing Strategy

DaVina Williams
Pro Member
Posted Oct 30 2022, 18:18

Acquired my 1st Investment Prop. It needs some work & I'm trying to choose the best financing strategy. Hard money? Small Business loan? It is held by my LLC so I've been told that a HELOC is not an option as it's a personal mortgage product.

Are there other financing options that I’m overlooking? Can you share any suggestions, opinions or experiences? 

Thanks in advance

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
#4 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied Oct 31 2022, 11:55

Davina,

Regardless of the property being held in an LLC you can still refinance the property if there is equity to pull out to start the renovations. DSCR will offer a 75% LTV cash out refinance while being in the LLC and allow you to close in the LLC. Other option would be to take out either a personal loan, LOC line of credit and use the funds to renovate and then refinance. ten use the new ARV to recoup the intial capital and pay off or down the LOC or P-loan.

If you own other properties Primary or secondary just do a cash out refinance on one of them to get the cash needed.  Rates may be a little higher but you can refinacne in 12-24 months and do a rate reduction loan.

User Stats

Votes
DaVina Williams
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 1 2022, 08:23

Thanks for the walk through Jason. Definitely a few extra options here. I'm unfamiliar with DSCR but I'll be doing my research.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ash Hegde
  • Lender
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT MI PA)
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT MI PA)
Replied Nov 1 2022, 09:02

Jason listed some really good options. As an aside, if you plan to hold and refinance after the rehab do not use credit cards as a high utilization will drop your credit and make the refi difficult and expensive. 

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Nov 1 2022, 18:19

DSCR for the properties in the LLC.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 1 2022, 21:04

Hard money for me has been the easiest to get. 

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Nov 2 2022, 08:06

DSCR......

partner with someone with cash. Im big on partnerships if you cant tell but partner with them and you can accomplish more, buy larger deals or packages. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Pakalka
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Nov 2 2022, 08:17

Davina,

There are a ton of options out there to finance real estate and more ways seem to pop up everyday. I am constantly getting bombarded with ads from lenders about how their new loan program is the best since they offer XYZ terms that are different than everyone else. Be careful about what they advertise since you may or may not qualify for that particular loan package once you submit your financial information. Make sure you have been fully qualified and understand the loan being offered before submitting an offer on a property. I have seen investors have to back out of a contract and lose earnest money since they did not fully understand the loan they intended to use. You can easily avoid these problems by doing as much research as possible. Make sure you shop around for the best lending strategy that fits your personal needs!