• Real Estate Agent
  • New York
Votes |
Need help with investment locations.

Mike Nowa
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York
Posted Nov 1 2022, 15:02

Good Afternoon all!   I am a licensed real estate agent in NY and I’m looking for my first investment property.  I saved enough for a nice down payment.  Looking at homes no more than 200k.  Where I live the market is extremely high and will be a no go for investing.  I have looked at different markets from Atlantic City, Hartford, Newburgh, Waterbury, Syracuse.  I am open to all suggestions.   How far should my first rental be from me.  I wanted something close but that seems very far fetched at this point. Thank you in advanced!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#1 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Nov 1 2022, 17:00

@Mike Nowa

I like within driving distance.

Will you hire a PM?

User Stats

Votes
CJ M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Canton, OH
Votes |
  • Canton, OH
Replied Nov 1 2022, 17:09

@Mike Nowa

There are many successful out of state investors, but my feeling, take it or leave it, is invest in your backyard. You know the market, can inspect things to your standard, and can be at the property in case of emergency.

There's already soooo much risk in this business, why add more risk by investing somewhere you can't even get to quickly?

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Nowa
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York
Replied Nov 1 2022, 19:43

I would Hire a PM depending on location.  I agree investing in the backyard is the best thing to do.  Only issue is the market around me is absolutely insane right now.  Whats the maximum distance from me I should be looking?

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 1 2022, 20:58

Killeen Texas may be a good market for you 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 2 2022, 04:59
Quote from @Mike Nowa:

If you insist on managing it yourself, then I suggest no more than an hour away. If you can buy something farther, you should consider investing in states that are fair to Landlords and more affordable.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mike Nowa
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York
Replied Nov 2 2022, 09:19
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Are units renting for a decent return here?

User Stats

Votes
Mike Nowa
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York
Replied Nov 2 2022, 09:21
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Mike Nowa:

If you insist on managing it yourself, then I suggest no more than an hour away. If you can buy something farther, you should consider investing in states that are fair to Landlords and more affordable.

I’m not sold on managing the property myself but if it’s close enough I would certainly consider it.  I think looking outside my area I’ll get a better deal.

User Stats

Votes
Georgeanna Tracey Newmones
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlantic City, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlantic City, NJ
Replied Nov 2 2022, 10:13

Hi Mike, congratulations on your agent status and your hunger to invest. The Atlantic City market is an excellent start for new investors. Specifically, the price pool is much lower than in NY and North Jersey. You can purchase either multi-family, condominium, or SF. The $200,000 may be a little stretch for MF, but not out of the question. Keep in mind the properties in or around the AC market will be older and may require TLC; however, you have to be "in it to win it"......Just jump! You will make mistakes initially; however, they will be instrumental in growing your investment portfolio. I would love to jump on zoom and assist you (as a colleague and an agent). I am familiar with the AC market as a Licensed Broker-sales person, and I own property (both STR/LTR) in and near the area.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 2 2022, 15:50

@Mike Nowa

Houston, TX is great for investors. It's growing like a weed as people continue to migrate here in big numbers from places like California. It's still one of the most affordable cities in the U.S. Feel free to direct message me if you'd like to just have a conversation.

B.R.Marshall

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 2 2022, 21:22
Quote from @Mike Nowa:
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Are units renting for a decent return here?

Yes they are, nearly meeting 1% rule on fourplexes 

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie P.
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Replied Nov 3 2022, 10:37
Quote from @Mike Nowa:

Good Afternoon all!   I am a licensed real estate agent in NY and I’m looking for my first investment property.  I saved enough for a nice down payment.  Looking at homes no more than 200k.  Where I live the market is extremely high and will be a no go for investing.  I have looked at different markets from Atlantic City, Hartford, Newburgh, Waterbury, Syracuse.  I am open to all suggestions.   How far should my first rental be from me.  I wanted something close but that seems very far fetched at this point. Thank you in advanced!

We're seeing numerous secondary markets where cash flow is still strong; particularly on multi family properties. Like @Nathan Gesner said, I would get a property manager if you're more than 1 hour from the property.   I had a property that was 2.5 hours away and those calls for a blown fuse or stopped up toilet on the weekend are brutal.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 3 2022, 22:59

You may want to look into the Albany / Capital Region market. 

What type of property are you looking for? 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Akshay Nihalaney
  • Investor
  • New York
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York
Replied Nov 4 2022, 00:37

Hi @Mike Nowa - I live in NYC and invest in Albany. It’s about 2.5 hours drive. 
you can certainly find a single family and even a 2-family (bit of a stretch) there which could cash-flow. 
I had to drive up there several times a month when I started last year to set up my team. I now go there once in 2 months (unless I have some renovations in progress, for which I go more often).

Looking back, I don’t think I could’ve have done this with out of state investments (I had considered San Antonio). I know a lot of people do out-of-state, but it does take a certain type of personality, especially when you’re just starting out. 

Hope this helps. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Polo Vazquez
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • McAllen, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • McAllen, TX
Replied Nov 5 2022, 23:10

Hey Mike! Here in the McAllen/Edinburg/Mission Texas area we are getting a lot of out of state investors. We have a good combination of lower property prices, high rental demand and inexpensive labor (lower maintenance costs) that have attracted a lot of people. The area is also growing exponentially. Purchasing fourplexes as investments has become popular by out of state investors recently as well. You should consider it and look into it.

Royal Equity Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ruchit Patel
  • Bay area, CA
Votes |
  • Bay area, CA
Replied Nov 6 2022, 01:00

Why don't you invest out of state? It's in the trend and so it's been easier than ever before due to sheer support from people providing turnkey deals.

User Stats

Votes
Sam McCormack
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Nov 6 2022, 16:59
@Mike Nowa

Hi Mike, you could find a good property for under 200k in Cincinnati/NKY. I would say a duplex or SFH! Let me know if you are interested in either of these markets!

User Stats

Votes
Aj Parikh
Pro Member
  • Centreville, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Centreville, VA
Replied Nov 9 2022, 18:18

HI Mike, I have found value investing in Cleveland, OH because it is home to Cleveland Clinic, lot of good neighborhoods, landlord friendly laws, stable appreciation and good cash flowing properties. There are also abundant opportunities for small multi family and SFH. I have been able to scale up to 12 doors in 2 years so definitely recommend this area. Feel free to reach out and we can discuss.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 10 2022, 08:19
Quote from @Mike Nowa:

Hey Mike,

I suggest taking a look at the market in Ohio, you'd be able to pick up a multifamily portfolio and start your cash flow. Ohio is a very landlord-friendly state.

The price to rent ratio makes for great investments. Not to mention our appreciation has been 8% higher than the US national average, because of the high demand for affordable housing.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Nov 12 2022, 07:20
Quote from @Aj Parikh:

HI Mike, I have found value investing in Cleveland, OH because it is home to Cleveland Clinic, lot of good neighborhoods, landlord friendly laws, stable appreciation and good cash flowing properties. There are also abundant opportunities for small multi family and SFH. I have been able to scale up to 12 doors in 2 years so definitely recommend this area. Feel free to reach out and we can discuss.

Mike,

I'm not really in the biz of saying go here or go there. It's not my bad. But, having sold more than $200 million in Cleveland real estate to out of state investors, I can definitely tell you that if you end up looking at Cleveland, you need to be reading The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods.

It's true lots of money can be made here, but a lot of it can be lost as well. The biggest mistake I see out of state investors make here in Cleveland is buying solely based on low price. There is more to it than that. You've got to understand the level of risk some of these Cleveland neighborhoods have. The guide should help you measure that.

User Stats

Votes
Lori Williams
  • Developer
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied Nov 12 2022, 08:37

I would recommend working with a partner if you're going to do out of state. There are a lot of ways to structure the partnership, but by doing so, you'll have a LOCAL person as part of the project.

I invest strictly in a very small neighborhood in Youngstown, OH. We are at 2%+ with DSCRs of 2-4. We are less expensive overall than Akron and Cleveland, and if you buy in the right area, you will have an excellent ROI.

PS: we do not do section8 or low income. We rent to professionals.

User Stats

Votes
Nate Monson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albany, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Albany, NY
Replied Nov 18 2022, 07:27

Hi @Mike Nowa to answer your question on whether you "should" invest out of area is more of a personal question on how comfortable you are with risk. But if you have the right team around you it can be a relatively low risk proposition. That being said I am in the Albany, NY market, if you'd like some info about this market please don't hesitate to reach out.