Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Vincent Lattuca
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
How do I choose a market/location to invest in?

Vincent Lattuca
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Posted Nov 6 2022, 14:00

What are some things that you look for when choosing a market to invest in? I am just starting out on my real estate journey and would love some advice.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 6 2022, 19:09

Choose one you can drive 30 min to from where you live. There is a lot you are going to learn just by being in close proximity to the property. 

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied Nov 6 2022, 20:15

One that cash flows and is profitable.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.
Account Closed
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Nov 6 2022, 21:19

It truly depends on what your investment objective is. It also depends on how local you want to be. If you're looking to stay within an hour of home, try to find a spot that has modest population growth (maybe 2% YoY) and rents that support your potential mortgage, operating expenses with maybe $200 left for you at the end of the month. 

User Stats

Votes
Jose Jacob
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Nov 6 2022, 21:32

Starting at your backyard(Local Market)  will be the best bet.  You will learn a lot from it.  RE Investing is a long term journey with lot of bumps.

Good Luck

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 7 2022, 05:09
Quote from @Vincent Lattuca:

What are some things that you look for when choosing a market to invest in? I am just starting out on my real estate journey and would love some advice.

I start at the state level with fair Landord-Tenant laws. Then narrow in on a city that shows stable growth and job market that will attract renters. Then narrow in on specific neighborhoods based on jobs, schools, shopping, crime levels, and other factors.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Nov 7 2022, 09:16

Hey Vincent,

I work at a real estate investment advisory firm and we are investing in two midwestern markets. Shoot me a DM, I'd be happy to tell you what we see in those and some things we look for in markets. 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Irish-Jones
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied Nov 7 2022, 09:20

Every agent on here has the best market to invest in including me :)  Start with  your goals and your available Capital and work backwards.  Appreciation or cash flow?  Do you have 15K or $1,000,000  if you have under 100K that is going to further dictate what markets you qualify for.  Last point, and not sure everyone will agree with me here:  Your team is as important or more important than the city.  A crappy PM company in a good city is still going to have poor results.  A great network in a tougher city and you will might get good results. 
  • Real Estate Agent NY (#10401329866)

Irish Jones Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Sam McCormack
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Nov 8 2022, 05:53

@Vincent Lattuca

Hi Vincent, the first thing you want to do is find your reason/target for real estate investing. Do you want immediate cash flow? Try some markets in the midwest. Want more appreciating markets? Try something along the cost like Florida maybe. You may not know which market will do what, but posting on here saying your target and asking for people who can help you find an area with your target is where you should start. You will find people on here are very willing to help you if you let them. I am an agent in Cincinnati for example, if you want a cash flowing market, you may find what you like in Cincinnati. Let me know if you have any questions regarding this post!

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Hidalgo
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Nov 8 2022, 18:36

Schools rating 

Commercial coming into the area

Median income 

How much demand or land available 

Economy and what drives it

Turn over period with average appreciation

Job stability 

User Stats

Votes
Aj Parikh
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Centreville, VA
Votes |
  • Centreville, VA
Replied Nov 9 2022, 18:30

Hi Vincent, I have found value investing in Cleveland, OH because it is home to Cleveland Clinic, lot of good neighborhoods, landlord friendly laws, stable appreciation and good cash flowing properties. There are also abundant opportunities for small multi family and SFH. I have been able to scale up to 12 doors in 2 years so definitely recommend this area. Feel free to reach out and we can discuss.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Nov 12 2022, 07:19
Quote from @Aj Parikh:

Hi Vincent, I have found value investing in Cleveland, OH because it is home to Cleveland Clinic, lot of good neighborhoods, landlord friendly laws, stable appreciation and good cash flowing properties. There are also abundant opportunities for small multi family and SFH. I have been able to scale up to 12 doors in 2 years so definitely recommend this area. Feel free to reach out and we can discuss.

Vincent,

I'm not really in the biz of saying go here or go there. But, having sold more than $200 million in Cleveland real estate to out of state investors, I can for sure tell you that if you end up looking at Cleveland, I you've got to read The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods.

It's true lots of money can be made here, but a lot of it can be lost as well. The biggest mistake I see out of state investors make here in Cleveland is buying solely based on low price. There is more to it than that. You've got to understand the level of risk some of these Cleveland neighborhoods have. The guide should help you measure that.

User Stats

Votes
Jewel B.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Replied Nov 25 2022, 17:17
Quote from @Aj Parikh:

What are the areas, neighborhoods, streets, and/or zip codes to avoid in and around Cleveland?
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Aj Parikh
  • Centreville, VA
Votes |
  • Centreville, VA
Replied Nov 25 2022, 17:51
Quote from @Jewel B.:
Quote from @Aj Parikh:

What are the areas, neighborhoods, streets, and/or zip codes to avoid in and around Cleveland?

I would recommend some of the neighborhood websites that provide you ratings. But more than anything, I would pick up the phone and call 5 property management companies and ask them the neighborhoods you are considering and see what their advise would be. 

User Stats

Votes
Jewel B.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Replied Nov 25 2022, 17:58
Quote from @Aj Parikh:
Quote from @Jewel B.:
Quote from @Aj Parikh:

I would recommend some of the neighborhood websites that provide you ratings. But more than anything, I would pick up the phone and call 5 property management companies and ask them the neighborhoods you are considering and see what their advise would be. 

Such as CrimeGrade and NeighborhoodScout?

Great idea re the PM companies.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Nov 26 2022, 06:03

@Vincent Lattuca too vague a question.

We're all guessing at what you're goals are to give you answers.

Please tell us more about what you hope to accomplish, so we can give better advice!

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 26 2022, 07:36
Quote from @James Wise:
Quote from @Aj Parikh:

Vincent,

I'm not really in the biz of saying go here or go there. But, having sold more than $200 million in Cleveland real estate to out of state investors, I can for sure tell you that if you end up looking at Cleveland, I you've got to read The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods.

It's true lots of money can be made here, but a lot of it can be lost as well. The biggest mistake I see out of state investors make here in Cleveland is buying solely based on low price. There is more to it than that. You've got to understand the level of risk some of these Cleveland neighborhoods have. The guide should help you measure that.

Wow this is extremely resourceful for people like myself looking at this market out of state. What would be supplemental if we could see the migration of these colors since the last 5 years, or even since pandemic? Did the green get greener and the yellow get redder in the areas posted or even did the some red turn into yellow or light green?

I'm not hesitant to go in a yellow area, if it was red just 2 years ago if you catch my drift.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Nov 26 2022, 08:14
Quote from @V.G Jason:
Quote from @James Wise:
Quote from @Aj Parikh:

Vincent,

Wow this is extremely resourceful for people like myself looking at this market out of state. What would be supplemental if we could see the migration of these colors since the last 5 years, or even since pandemic? Did the green get greener and the yellow get redder in the areas posted or even did the some red turn into yellow or light green?

I'm not hesitant to go in a yellow area, if it was red just 2 years ago if you catch my drift.

It's a living guide, it get's updated if I feel there has been a major ****. Although, it should be noted, entire areas don't make such massive shifts in such short periods of time. You're not likely to see any major change in a metro area from pre to post pandemic. Anyone telling you that you will, is blowing smoke to get their hands on your money.

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sanow
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Nov 26 2022, 09:03

Many will pitch their own market, and while technically I am not an exception to the rule, I would say if you are looking into long distance investing just make sure that you gel really well with whomever you are considering working with to acquire and manage the assets. The ROI is one important aspect of that, but the communication and relationships are just as important starting out.