Kevin Holmes
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
How To Find a Mentor

Kevin Holmes
  • Las Vegas, NV
Posted Nov 8 2022, 09:32

Hello All

I'm doing all that I can (reading, watching videos, attending webinars) to get into wholesaling real estate. I like wholesaling because it has a low entry point. 

I plan to add on to my "arsenal" after I master it.

I think I've done enough. I'm ready to get my feet wet. What is the best way to find a mentor? I read an article in the library here, that says trading skills is one way. 

I have some skills in social media management, video editing skills, logo/Graphic design. I vlog. I've blogged. I produce instrumental music (focus on 90s hip hop and some trap music, I have releases on Spotify).

Any suggestions?

Any takers/Mentors interested?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 9 2022, 05:08
Quote from @Kevin Holmes:

Go to NETWORK at the top of your screen and you can search for other investors and investment groups in your area. You can also check meetup.com or search facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Auerbach#2 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Votes |
Marcus Auerbach#2 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Replied Nov 9 2022, 05:22

@Kevin Holmes -  mentorship is a romantic Hollywood idea. You will have people in your life who like you and will act as role models, but you won't have anyone holding your hand from start to finish. And you don't need that! You buy a house and rent it out, it's much easier than you might make if seem like in your head. Find an agent who is also an investor (not easy, but BP is a good place to look) and has personally done what you are looking to do. Go to local meet ups, it gives you a sense of confirmation and you are not the only one in this challenge. You can learn from everyone, if fact sometimes you learn most from people who don't do it right.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Nov 9 2022, 07:11

Don't get too hung up on finding a mentor before doing your first deal. Just start networking, and your network as a whole can act as your 'mentor' for now. Go to meetups, start calling agents and lenders, meet other wholesalers etc. 

As you make connections with other local people in the industry, you'll definitely connect with a few who will be willing to help you navigate your first deal.

Right now you should focus on building a buyers list, contacting homeowners, and making lowball offers on properties.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Holmes
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Nov 9 2022, 17:23
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

Go to NETWORK at the top of your screen and you can search for other investors and investment groups in your area. You can also check meetup.com or search facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Holmes
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Nov 9 2022, 17:33
Quote from @Scott E.:

Don't get too hung up on finding a mentor before doing your first deal. Just start networking, and your network as a whole can act as your 'mentor' for now. Go to meetups, start calling agents and lenders, meet other wholesalers etc. 

As you make connections with other local people in the industry, you'll definitely connect with a few who will be willing to help you navigate your first deal.

Right now you should focus on building a buyers list, contacting homeowners, and making lowball offers on properties.

This comment really hit!

Sometimes it becomes hard for me to determine when to color inside the lines (i.e. follow a blueprint) or get creative. Rookie mistake.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 29 2022, 07:58

@Kevin Holmes reach out to people in your area who have social media that can do better and offer to help!

The Moorhead Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Holmes
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Nov 29 2022, 08:51

Thank you. 
Will do!

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 29 2022, 11:12

Hello All

I'm doing all that I can (reading, watching videos, attending webinars) to get into wholesaling real estate. I like wholesaling because it has a low entry point. 

I think I've done enough. I'm ready to get my feet wet. What is the best way to find a mentor? I read an article in the library here, that says trading skills is one way. 

I have some skills in social media management, video editing skills, logo/Graphic design. I vlog. I've blogged. I produce instrumental music (focus on 90s hip hop and some trap music, I have releases on Spotify).

Any suggestions?

Hey Kevin, it would be best to try and attend your local REI networking groups and meetups. Connect with as many real estate mentors as you can.
You can also consult with lenders, brokers and ask them for suggestions on who might be a good real estate mentor most will be able to provide one.

I personally like to try to set up every month a meeting with someone I think I can learn from or who could be a potential mentor.

I always come full of questions and ready to learn. Many are specific to the individual that I am meeting with but there are some questions that I have taken from John Maxwells book "Good Leaders Ask Great Questions."

"You may want to use them too:

1. What is the greatest lesson you have learned?
- By asking this question, I seek their wisdom.

2. What are you learning now?
- This question allows me to benefit from their passion.

3. How has failure shaped your life?
- This question gives insight into their attitude.

4. Who do you know whom I should know?
- This allows me to engage with their network.

5. What have you read that I should read?
- This question directs my personal growth.

6. What have you done that I should do?
- This helps me seek new experiences.

7. How can I add value to you?
- This shows my gratitude and desire to add value to them.

These can be a great starting point for you. You never know if someone will say yes or not until you ask. Be bold and ask people to meet up.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Holmes
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Nov 29 2022, 11:25
Quote from @Steven Foster Wilson:

Hello All

Any suggestions?

Hey Kevin, it would be best to try and attend your local REI networking groups and meetups. Connect with as many real estate mentors as you can.
You can also consult with lenders, brokers and ask them for suggestions on who might be a good real estate mentor most will be able to provide one.

I personally like to try to set up every month a meeting with someone I think I can learn from or who could be a potential mentor.

I always come full of questions and ready to learn. Many are specific to the individual that I am meeting with but there are some questions that I have taken from John Maxwells book "Good Leaders Ask Great Questions."

"You may want to use them too:

1. What is the greatest lesson you have learned?
- By asking this question, I seek their wisdom.

2. What are you learning now?
- This question allows me to benefit from their passion.

3. How has failure shaped your life?
- This question gives insight into their attitude.

4. Who do you know whom I should know?
- This allows me to engage with their network.

5. What have you read that I should read?
- This question directs my personal growth.

6. What have you done that I should do?
- This helps me seek new experiences.

7. How can I add value to you?
- This shows my gratitude and desire to add value to them.

These can be a great starting point for you. You never know if someone will say yes or not until you ask. Be bold and ask people to meet up.
These are great questions. I’ll have to find that book. 

thank you

User Stats

Votes
James Hamling#3 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Twin Cities, MN
Votes |
James Hamling#3 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Twin Cities, MN
Replied Nov 29 2022, 17:41

What is the best way to find a mentor? 

Ok, it's pretty simple. Step 1, make sure you have about $20k or a bit more in your bank account. Step 2, get a screenshot of it, come on here and put up a post "I got $20k, need a mentor". Then, step 3, you send me a check for that $20k, and I will send you back your first lesson, how to waste $20k on "gurus", and your well on your way to the "guru" experience in REI.

Then, when you want to step up to the "Advanced" level of training "how to loose another $15k on Guru's", first get that $15k saved up and we can jump into advanced level.  

Look, this isn't Subway. There is no franchise to buy, there isn't even a secret sauce. You can learn literally everything you need at your local library, for FREE. Or on here. 

If it's someone riding your azz screaming "GET TO WORK", well, go get married, lol. 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Holmes
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jan 6 2023, 14:03
Quote from @James Hamling:

What is the best way to find a mentor? 

Ok, it's pretty simple. Step 1, make sure you have about $20k or a bit more in your bank account. Step 2, get a screenshot of it, come on here and put up a post "I got $20k, need a mentor". Then, step 3, you send me a check for that $20k, and I will send you back your first lesson, how to waste $20k on "gurus", and your well on your way to the "guru" experience in REI.

Then, when you want to step up to the "Advanced" level of training "how to loose another $15k on Guru's", first get that $15k saved up and we can jump into advanced level.  

Look, this isn't Subway. There is no franchise to buy, there isn't even a secret sauce. You can learn literally everything you need at your local library, for FREE. Or on here. 

If it's someone riding your azz screaming "GET TO WORK", well, go get married, lol. 

James

I TRULY respect this answer...all the way to "go get married, lol".