Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

Normal to pay a brokerage service fee of $500?

Posted Nov 11 2022, 04:57

Hey friends. I'm an NYC-based investor working on investing in the Philly market. I'm building my team in the area. An agent I've been working with said that her brokerage charges a $500 fee if I go under contract for a property. My mentor said that doesn't sound right and sounds like double-dipping. Any thoughts here?

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied Nov 11 2022, 06:11

@Christopher Rucks

I agree with your mentor. Unless they are providing additional services; they should only be compensated when you close.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Nov 11 2022, 06:19

@Christopher Rucks, I've heard of some brokerages requiring a retainer fee but it's usually unorthodox. Unless the brokerage is indeed going above and beyond in finding you a home run deal, the upfront charge is unnecessary. FYI stuff like this can be negotiated. I would have a conversation with your agent and their broker regarding the validity of the fee. Hope this helps! 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 11 2022, 06:40

They should only get paid when you close, there are usually transaction fees

User Stats

Votes
Ron H.
  • Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Nov 11 2022, 08:03

I've gone through 3 different transactions in three different cities where the agent tried to slide in garbage fees into the contract, insisting they were normal.  They are not. I have always said strike the fee or else bye bye.  They have always deleted the fee with words trying to make you feel guilty.

I recently advised on a transaction where the agent insisted on a higher than normal percent for the very hot market in addition to additional broker fees.  Agent removed the fees but 3 out of the 4 owners refused to insist on lowering the percent charged due to agent making them feel guilty about it.  Agent did no marketing to help sell property other than mls listing.  Multiple over list price no contingency offers the first weekend. Accepted offer was from same broker so he cleaned up on the transaction regardless.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Nov 11 2022, 08:22

Pretty common. In my market they range from $300 to $700. We charge our clients $395 per transaction. We also charge a minimum gross commission, so om a cheap property our buyers and sellers are also paying that minimum.

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Nov 11 2022, 08:27

It is common. I was with Remax and they charged a broker fee when you closed, it goes to the broker not the agent. I am with eXp and they charge a broker fee too. If the agent "waived it" then he would have to take a $500 hit to his commission. If the agent is awesome and will be able to get you deals along with making the process smooth then pay the $500. 

User Stats

Votes
Ash Hegde
  • Lender
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT MI PA)
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT MI PA)
Replied Nov 11 2022, 08:29

@Russell Brazil do you charge that at closing or when you go under contract? I think the timing is the issue here more than the fee itself. 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Nov 11 2022, 09:05
Quote from @Ash Hegde:

@Russell Brazil do you charge that at closing or when you go under contract? I think the timing is the issue here more than the fee itself. 

We charge it at closing.

However with out of state investors we collect a retainer fee up front. We do this to weed the time wasters.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Britton
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Nov 11 2022, 11:21
Quote from @Russell Brazil:
Quote from @Ash Hegde:

We charge it at closing.

However with out of state investors we collect a retainer fee up front. We do this to weed the time wasters.

Totally!  i've wasted tons of my life on deadbeats if i could have made some money or deterred others from wasting my time, i should have thought of it!  LOL

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Nov 11 2022, 11:35
Quote from @Christopher Rucks:

Hey friends. I'm an NYC-based investor working on investing in the Philly market. I'm building my team in the area. An agent I've been working with said that her brokerage charges a $500 fee if I go under contract for a property. My mentor said that doesn't sound right and sounds like double-dipping. Any thoughts here?w

Why are you using, and agent is my 1st question, 2nd is why Philly ? 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#2 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Nov 11 2022, 11:50
Quote from @Ash Hegde:

We charge it at closing.

Smart haha

Fuente Funding Inc.  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ray Johnson
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Nov 12 2022, 00:49

@Christopher Rucks Yes this happens. In my experiences, I've always said no. If you appear to be a committed investor and running a business, the agents will not charge you because the better option is the long-term business relationship.

IntellCRE logo
IntellCRE
|
Sponsored
Supercharge Your Multifamily Investing with AI Source, screen, evaluate, underwrite, and act on hundreds of deals with data and confidence!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 12 2022, 06:22
Quote from @Ray Johnson:

@Christopher Rucks Yes this happens. In my experiences, I've always said no. If you appear to be a committed investor and running a business, the agents will not charge you because the better option is the long-term business relationship.

Got it. Thanks for the insight, Ray. The relationship is brand new and I haven't bought anything yet, so wondering if I should push back or just roll with it for the first time. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 12 2022, 06:27
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Hey friends. I'm an NYC-based investor working on investing in the Philly market. I'm building my team in the area. An agent I've been working with said that her brokerage charges a $500 fee if I go under contract for a property. My mentor said that doesn't sound right and sounds like double-dipping. Any thoughts here?w

Hey Bob. I'm not local and I'm short on time, so opportunities from MLS and someone who knows the area is the best option for me. As far as Philly, it's one of the closest affordable markets in the NYC area. I also have family in south jersey, so I can get someone there if I need to.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Nov 12 2022, 06:33
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Hey Bob. I'm not local and I'm short on time, so opportunities from MLS and someone who knows the area is the best option for me. As far as Philly, it's one of the closest affordable markets in the NYC area. I also have family in south jersey, so I can get someone there if I need to.

Agents are not where the deals are, go to the local RE forums, you will get much more success 

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Nov 12 2022, 09:59

Everything is negotiable.

You can reach out to her and request that she forgo the fee or ask her to reduce it and see what she says.

Is she a good agent? maybe paying her a fee on top of what she will receive from the seller will be worth it.

I normally see a fee request from the agent is low-cost markets to help compensate them for their time/work.
Philadelphia, from my perspective, does not appear to be a lost cost market where an additional fee of $500 would be considered normal.

Best of luck

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 13 2022, 13:04
Quote from @Basit Siddiqi:

Everything is negotiable.

You can reach out to her and request that she forgo the fee or ask her to reduce it and see what she says.

Is she a good agent? maybe paying her a fee on top of what she will receive from the seller will be worth it.

I normally see a fee request from the agent is low-cost markets to help compensate them for their time/work.
Philadelphia, from my perspective, does not appear to be a lost cost market where an additional fee of $500 would be considered normal.

Best of luck

Great feedback. Thanks, Basit

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 13 2022, 13:04
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Agents are not where the deals are, go to the local RE forums, you will get much more success 

Got it, thanks for sharing Bob!

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Kennedy
  • Real Estate Agent
  • PA, Philadelphia
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • PA, Philadelphia
Replied Nov 14 2022, 08:14

Not normal, you are working with the wrong agent my friend. Would love to assist though! DM if youd like to discuss futher!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 7 2022, 11:41
Quote from @Ash Hegde:

We charge it at closing.

What is the amount for a common retainer fee ?

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Dec 7 2022, 12:33
Quote from @Matt Szablowski:
Quote from @Ash Hegde:

We charge it at closing.

What is the amount for a common retainer fee ?
We retain $5k for Baltimore and $10k for DC. 

User Stats

Votes
Sara Frank
  • Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Dec 8 2022, 11:10

We charge $395 brokerage fee for buyers and sellers at closing. This covers record keeping etc, doesnt go to the agents. Sometimes there is a retainer for out of state clients and then in 2023 were introducing minimum commission for purchases under a certain price but thats a group policy not brokerage wide 

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Billy Daniel
Pro Member
  • Russellville, AR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Russellville, AR
Replied Dec 8 2022, 11:27

Ask the agent to explain why they are charging that fee.  It may be an upfront fee that would be credited to the commissions at closing.  It sounds odd to me, but not entirely shady.  If you don't like it, get another agent!  I have no problem with agents charging fees for their services as long as those fees are earned....

User Stats

Votes
Lucky Henderson
  • Realtor
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Maryland
Replied Dec 12 2022, 08:56

Each brokerage is different. I pay the brokerage fee myself as the agent, my investors don't pay that. I'd find out the ins and outs of how they do their transactions. Keep in mind each state is different also and NY has some specific regulations in different industries.