Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Jaeger
Votes |
ADU/DADU, valuation and financing

Matthew Jaeger
Posted Nov 11 2022, 14:15

How do I properly value my stake in an ADU development project on my property?

Background: I have property on which I intend to put two more units. The lot is 5950 sq. ft. The lot is situated as the standard 50'-60' by about 100'. It is oriented lengthwise east-west with the street to the west and an alley on the east. The house is less than 1000 sq. ft. and situated about 8'-10' off the alley with carport off-alley. That means an enormous yard on the west facing street-side front. 

I intend to put two more units on the land. Seattle allows one main house with an AADU and then a separate DADU. The current house is small enough to qualify as the DADU. The front yard is huge with plenty space for a new "main" house with an AADU. 

An old and valued friend constructs ADUs and houses. The level of trust is strong so I want to make sure we do this properly. We are working out an agreement for him to finance the build and have his company do the build. My share is based on the value of the land that will be contributed. I intend to offer up 49% of the land so that I retain 3000 sq. ft. along with the original house. Spoils will be proportionally based on his construction/build costs and the value of my land. 

Questions: 

How do I determine my share? 

When is my land value determined? At the beginning of the project? At project completion? At sale of property? 

Should I also collect a bit from allowing the project to happen on my property? He is, after all, getting double profit, on construction with his company and at sale.

There are a lot of other things, but this is the focused issue that I am trying to determine at the moment. 

Thank you for your consideration. 

M

User Stats

Votes
Sherief Elbassuoni
  • Realtor
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Nov 12 2022, 05:02

@Matthew Jaeger, you have many options to know your share. No right or wrong answer, but one of these methods is to see other DADU comps and check their county records. What is the land value, and what is the building value? This will give you an idea of how much your land construction for the DADU is worth!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 12 2022, 05:51

this is city specific, but sometimes it's way easier and much cheaper to find house that has ADU, compare to build fresh ADU --> that only if you are flexible on location. Something to think about.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Haas
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle Investor: 80 Client HouseHacks & Counting! I Own: 🏠7 LTRs 🗻6 STRs, 🏘️3 DADU's
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle Investor: 80 Client HouseHacks & Counting! I Own: 🏠7 LTRs 🗻6 STRs, 🏘️3 DADU's
Replied Nov 28 2022, 10:19

@Matthew Jaeger it can be hard to find condoized ADU, SFH, and DADU comps because the MLS and listing agents selling them often don't categorize them consistently. We have a couple of keyword searches that pull the vast majority of projects, and have an appraiser working on a valuation model that should apply to your project. Feel free to PM me and I'll grant you access. Cheers!