George Plasencia
  • East Elmhurst, NY
Votes |
URGENT Question Please Help

George Plasencia
  • East Elmhurst, NY
Posted Nov 12 2022, 21:26

First of all;  Hi everyone.

ok the situation is I have a friend of mine which reach out to me for help, her husband died due to Covid. They owned a property with survivorship deed. The property is located in Columbia NY.

I have prepared the affidavit of survivorship and have the death certificate and the survivorship deed but i don't know where to take the documents so my friend get a new deed under her name.

she want to update the deed so she could give it to her son when she dies. I truly appreciated all of your help before hand. thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Nov 13 2022, 04:35

@George Plasencia

You should get a title company to draft all of these documents and get them recorded.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 13 2022, 10:55
Quote from @George Plasencia:

At a minimum, I would contact a Title company for assistance. My best recommendation is that you speak with an attorney.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Nov 13 2022, 14:12

I'm with the others. It's cool that you came here looking for help but this is a question that's better answered locally. Tell your friend to speak with:

1. Their mortgage company

2. A real estate attorney

3. A title company

User Stats

Votes
Timir Shah
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 13 2022, 16:53
Quote from @George Plasencia:

First of all;  Hi everyone.

ok the situation is I have a friend of mine which reach out to me for help, her husband died due to Covid. They owned a property with survivorship deed. The property is located in Columbia NY.

I have prepared the affidavit of survivorship and have the death certificate and the survivorship deed but i don't know where to take the documents so my friend get a new deed under her name.

she want to update the deed so she could give it to her son when she dies. I truly appreciated all of your help before hand. thanks 

Hi George,

Agree with all of the above. Best to get a real estate attorney and a title company involved in this process as they are well versed in the necessary documents needed to get the title transferred over correctly, legally. 

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Nov 14 2022, 12:22

Hey @George Plasencia - sorry for your friend's loss. You should advise your friend to get in touch with a real estate attorney who will be able to assist with this, as the attorney will also connect your friend with a title company etc. to handle the proper paperwork.