Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Brian McGuire
Votes |
HELOC of 85K and not sure where to start investing

Brian McGuire
Posted Nov 15 2022, 11:14

I would like to begin investing in multi family homes 2-4 apts but not sure where to begin. I own a home in PA but would like to use a FHA loan in NJ or NC. Just want to start the right way and bring in income from the investment properties. Any guidance is appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Dasch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Replied Nov 16 2022, 07:27

That is great that you got a HELOC. If I was able to get one, I would do this: Find deals (on or off market) at a discount. Use a HML to finance the PP, then tap into the HELOC for the repairs. Use the 85K - or whatever is left after the rehab - to help qualify for the refinance of the property. Once you refinance and pay the HML back, use the rest of the cash to pay back your HELOC then repeat.

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Mcenteer
  • Realtor
  • Boonton Township, NJ
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Boonton Township, NJ
Replied Nov 17 2022, 18:51

Hi @Brian McGuire lets talk I have been house hacking 2-4 unit properties in NJ for almost a decade. Lets chat, I am always happy to share stories and what has worked well for me and my wife over the years. Best part is all my deals I do without FHA, I use low money down conventional mortgages ( 5% down) with NO PMI :)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes