Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Maynard
Votes |
Should I always take multiple applications

Dylan Maynard
Posted Nov 17 2022, 14:46

Posted my property on turbo tenet, first application seems fine. Should I always wait to get multiple applicants no matter what and if so how long is acceptable to wait before responding.

User Stats

Votes
Darryl Matthews
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied Nov 17 2022, 15:08

Yes I believe this broadens your search for a viable tenant

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 17 2022, 19:40

I don't know your local laws, you may need to screen first qualified 

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 18 2022, 05:48
Quote from @Dylan Maynard:

Posted my property on turbo tenet, first application seems fine. Should I always wait to get multiple applicants no matter what and if so how long is acceptable to wait before responding.

I recommend processing applications as they come in. Don't start them unless they are complete! Offer it to the first approved applicant and give them 24 hours to pay the deposit and lock it in. If they don't, offer it to the next approved applicant.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Dasch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Temple, TX
Replied Nov 18 2022, 06:12

If you have a criteria as far as credit score, income, and length of time at their job, I dont see why it would be a bad idea to take the tenant that meets your criteria.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 18 2022, 06:31

Process the complete applications in the order received. If the first one meets your criterion, then accept. States are increasingly prohibiting thumbing through to find the best qualified as it is seen as discriminatory. 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Vanderford
  • Property Manager
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Nov 18 2022, 06:58

If the applicant meets your rental criteria, then I would suggest that you go for it! No need to keep your property vacant "just in case" an even better applicant comes along. Especially since doing so could be seen as discriminatory by the state, as others have observed.

If this applicant meets your rental criteria, but you are still not comfortable with the application, then I would suggest raising the bar on your rental criteria. 

User Stats

Votes
Julian Colvard
  • Property Manager
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Dec 12 2022, 20:33

If the tenant meets all of your requirements, go ahead and send them a lease. The main reason for waiting is to get good applicants. If you already have one, you have saved yourself time. Everyday the house is not rented, you are losing money.