Votes
Matthew Harding
Pro Member
Votes |
How to allocate my cash to get started

Matthew Harding
Pro Member
Posted Nov 23 2022, 02:43

Hi all - looking to get started with long term rentals.  I am thinking of starting with 1 single family home. I have about $150k cash to get started.  Not sure if I should purchase a lower value home, finance a nicer home (given interest rates), or something else?   What have others in a similar situation done to get started and so you have any tips or lessons learned?  Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 23 2022, 05:18
Quote from @Matthew Harding:

Hi all - looking to get started with long term rentals.  I am thinking of starting with 1 single family home. I have about $150k cash to get started.  Not sure if I should purchase a lower value home, finance a nicer home (given interest rates), or something else?   What have others in a similar situation done to get started and so you have any tips or lessons learned?  Thanks! 

Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums!

Read a few books on real estate investing to learn the power of leverage. I like the Unofficial Guide to Real Estate Investing. Here's a very basic explanation to get your juices flowing:

Assume a house costs $200,000 and rents for $1,500. The market appreciates 3% per year.

Pay cash for one house and rent it for $1,500. After five years you'll have earned $90,000 in rent income and gained $34,000 in appreciation.

Buy four houses with $50,000 down on each. Mortgage payment is $1,000 on each house, so you're essentially earning $500 per house or $2,000 a month. After five years you'll have earned $120,000 in rent income and gained $136,000 in appreciation. You've earned $132,000 more by splitting your money and leveraging it.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Nov 23 2022, 06:27

Househack small plex or Adu with 5% down OO mortgage if you are currently a renter.

After that it's a decision tree.   Distressed house unbankable with significant discount if purchased quickly with cash?  Use cash.

Vanilla on market with agent ok to close in 45+ days?  Get a mortgage. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 23 2022, 07:25

What are your goals? Do you want steady cash flow? Do you want to turn a profit and put the money in bigger and better deals? So many ways to leverage your money. I am personally buying as much as I can without using my own money 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Harding
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 23 2022, 07:32

Good question. My main goal is to generate enough cash flow that I can save to fund the next one - timing will depend of course, and I could always cash out refinance when rates settle down. But would definitely like to buy and hold until I can save enough to add another rental.  

User Stats

Votes
Ruchit Patel
  • Bay area, CA
Votes |
  • Bay area, CA
Replied Nov 26 2022, 21:00

Your idea is good however, buying for pure cash flow limits the future buying capacity!! 

Targeting more equity is the faster way to boost your net worth than $1000 a month cash flow.

Instead of buying a cash-flowy house in the midwest with my $40,000 cash, I signed a construction contract in a good neighborhood, and after 18 months, that $40,000 turned into $110,000. Now you can buy more cash flowy assets!! 

User Stats

Votes
Jewel B.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Replied Nov 26 2022, 22:08
Quote from @Steve Vaughan:

Househack small plex or Adu with 5% down OO mortgage if you are currently a renter.

After that it's a decision tree.   Distressed house unbankable with significant discount if purchased quickly with cash?  Use cash.

Vanilla on market with agent ok to close in 45+ days?  Get a mortgage. 

What's an example of an ADU and how can you find out if it's possible to do?