• Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Question for new and seasoned agents.

Jude Cineas
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Nov 23 2022, 09:34

What is something you wish you would’ve known before getting licensed in RE?

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 23 2022, 09:41

@Jude Cineas I started with a small brokerage because they had better splits so I figured I'd make more money. I sold one house in 6 months. I joined KW and sold 24 the first year with them. I should have joined an established brokerage with great tools and training right off the bat.

The Moorhead Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jude Cineas
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Nov 23 2022, 10:06
Quote from @Jude Cineas:

I’ll go first - start up cost. 

Getting enrolled into a RE school is only the beginning. Once you pass your schooling you have to take into consideration 

-application fees 

-fingerprints fees 

-test fees 

- NAR initial dues

-brokerage initial dues 

And many more other fees. Plan ahead and be cautious about your spending; you’ll need every cent in the beginning. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jude Cineas
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Nov 23 2022, 10:10
Quote from @Jordan Moorhead:

@Jude Cineas I started with a small brokerage because they had better splits so I figured I'd make more money. I sold one house in 6 months. I joined KW and sold 24 the first year with them. I should have joined an established brokerage with great tools and training right off the bat.

Hello Jordan , 

I definitely agree with you , it can seem very enticing follow a brokerage that have low to no commission splits. You have to be very careful with these brokerages because they may offer minimal tools and resources for you to succeed as a new agent. Joining a big name brokerage can be very advantageous , just make sure you fully understand what your money is paying for. 

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Nov 23 2022, 10:53

Hey @Jude Cineas - I'm actually releasing a video on my YT channel about this topic on Friday. I have other similar videos if you want to check them out (see my profile for the link). 

I wish I would've known that it's very easy to get your RE license. I'm not saying this to be sarcastic, but it's just a matter of fact. Most states don't require a highschool or college degree - which is the allure to RE for people without much experience or credentials. 

Unfortunately what happens is as an agent with professional experience, you have to now interact with other agents that just don't know how to be professional in different situations. The group of people that get most hurt by this are the end clients because they usually have no way of knowing an agent is credible until after they've listed with them or are already under contract. 

User Stats

Votes
James Hamling#3 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Twin Cities, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Twin Cities, MN
Replied Nov 23 2022, 11:07

@Jude Cineas I did things a bit backwards, having already been a veteran investor and decades in housing industry, I knew most of it already, and I came into it eyes wide open. So the mistakes and misconceptions most carry in the door, i didn't have. 

But still, I did fall prey at the start of the #1 false idea of brand, and later learned that the brand just does-NOT-matter. It's the people, NOT the brand (brokerage) that counts. 

So many get roped into this thing of what brokerage to start at, and get really focused on what that brand messaging is. Looking at splits or what not. NONE of that matters, it doesn't! 0 split or 50% split DOES NOT MATTER. yeah, you'd think it does, seems like it should but it doesn't. Because simply put, the more it's costs, the MORE your getting, it's very simple math. And most new agents, they NEED more so, actually, the bigger the split it's actually probably a better starting point, ironically. 

The ONLY thing that matters is WHO the people are, WHAT they are doing, WHAT you are getting, and HOW it all works. Who, What, How, that's it. 

Notice brand is nowhere in there, nor are splits, crm, all that other gobbly-gook they use to confuse a person, NONE of that matters. 

That's the 1 thing I wish i had known, the brand means NOTHING. 

Pick a TEAM that best meets your style, your interests, that is actively DOING what you want to do, know, learn, master. It's a lesson old as time, surround yourself with persons better then you, doing what you want to do, knowing what you want to know, be a great student, the rest will follow. 

User Stats

Votes
Jude Cineas
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Nov 23 2022, 11:08
Quote from @Mohammed Rahman:

Hey @Jude Cineas - I'm actually releasing a video on my YT channel about this topic on Friday. I have other similar videos if you want to check them out (see my profile for the link). 

I wish I would've known that it's very easy to get your RE license. I'm not saying this to be sarcastic, but it's just a matter of fact. Most states don't require a highschool or college degree - which is the allure to RE for people without much experience or credentials. 

Unfortunately what happens is as an agent with professional experience, you have to now interact with other agents that just don't know how to be professional in different situations. The group of people that get most hurt by this are the end clients because they usually have no way of knowing an agent is credible until after they've listed with them or are already under contract. 

I will most definitely check out your video on YT.. professionalism is HUGE in this industry !  Thanks for the response! 

User Stats

Votes
Jude Cineas
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Nov 23 2022, 11:11
Quote from @James Hamling:

@Jude Cineas I did things a bit backwards, having already been a veteran investors and decades in housing industry, I knew most of it already, and I came into it eyes wide open. So the mistakes and misconceptions most carry in the door, i didn't have. 

But still, I did fall prey at the start of the #1 false idea that, the brand just does-NOT-matter. It's the people, NOT the brand (brokerage) that counts. 

So many get roped into this thing of what brokerage to start at, and get really focused on what that brand messaging is. Looking at splits or what not. NONE of that matters, it doesn't! 0 split or 50% split DOES NOT MATTER. yeah, you'd think it does, seems like it should but it doesn't. Because simply put, the more it's costs, the MORE your getting, it's very simple math. And most new agents, they NEED more so, actually, the bigger the split it's actually probably a better starting point, ironically. 

The ONLY thing that matters is WHO the people are, WHAT they are doing, WHAT you are getting, and HOW it all works. Who, What, How, that's it. 

Notice brand is nowhere in there, no are splits, crm, all that other gobbly-gook they use to confuse a person, NONE of that matters. 

Pick a TEAM that best meets your style, your interests, that is actively DOING what you want to do, know, learn, master. It's a lesson old as time, surround yourself with persons better then you, doing what you want to do, knowing what you want to know, be a great student, the rest will follow. 

Beautifully said James ! Thanks for the insight !

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Parker
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Nov 23 2022, 11:54

@Jude Cineas I did things a bit backwards, having already been a veteran investor and decades in housing industry, I knew most of it already, and I came into it eyes wide open. So the mistakes and misconceptions most carry in the door, i didn't have. 

But still, I did fall prey at the start of the #1 false idea of brand, and later learned that the brand just does-NOT-matter. It's the people, NOT the brand (brokerage) that counts. 

Notice brand is nowhere in there, nor are splits, crm, all that other gobbly-gook they use to confuse a person, NONE of that matters. 

100% Agree with this!

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Twin Cities, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Twin Cities, MN
Replied Nov 23 2022, 13:07
Quote from @Tommy Parker:

100% Agree with this!

Like our new client welcome cover: 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 23 2022, 22:11

How to be a closer, not likable. Start looking for deals for myself not clients

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 24 2022, 06:03
Quote from @Jude Cineas:

I was focused on becoming a property manager because I knew I would be good at managing assets. I didn't realize the value of including sales in my business until five years later. I also didn't start to invest until five years later. I wish I had started everything at the very beginning.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sanow
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Nov 24 2022, 07:28

No one is coming for you. Being licensed doesn’t mean you make money. The marketplace rewards you for one thing: the value you bring to it. Raise the value, early and often and become well paid for it. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes