Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Kadlecek
  • Arlington, WA
Votes |
Purchasing a home with 2 rentals for newbie as a tax shelter?

Thomas Kadlecek
  • Arlington, WA
Posted Nov 23 2022, 12:03

Hi everyone, I'm super new here -- 1st post (I'm brand new).  I really would appreciate any insight / thoughts into my journey here.

I am an RN that had all but given up hope of home ownership in our area north of Seattle with the housing market going berserk (my wife is stay-at-home Mom), but things have financially changed for us since I started travel nursing in our local area (local travel nursing - same commute time but different hospital and better pay).  We are in a position to possibly buy something with a 90k downpayment money ready.  I am reluctant to buy just for ourselves....I would hate to be house broke and I'm inspired by the stories of everyone here that can use real estate to protect assets and earn more revenue -- I want a house that will work for us in other words.

I recently saw a property near the hospital, a nice single-family residence for $540k (on the market for 2 months with one price reduction since initially listed) with two dwellings (primary and 400 square foot ADU) in a very nice neighborhood. It would be perfect for travel nurses (2 minute drive) that come and go from our hospital. I currently rent from a family friend that has some health issues and we pay very little for our rent at $1100 / month covering everything / all utilities, etc, and is in a beautiful place so I am reluctant to leave our place where we live and instead want to farm out this house as an income tax shelter + gain some equity in something. Financially, I told my wife that I'm looking at being taxed over $30,000 alone from my current income, $16,000 in donations/tithes, but I was looking into the math and saw that there are lots of things one could write off from home ownership $37k in interest on a loan potentially, $3.5k PMI, $5.4k property taxes, standard rental depreciation costs. It gets pretty complex fast. The general gist of what I was thinking was of buying and using the property to maximize my savings of income (rental would be at LEAST $1600 per unit per month so at least $3200 per month but potentially higher with mid-term rentals with travel nurses). Any thoughts out there -- it seems like there are numerous benefits to ownership of a home and a double rental home seems like it would protect some of my earnings and allow me to build equity into SOMETHING (anything) so that maybe someday I could even buy my landlord's home when his health gets worse and he cannot stay here any longer and we would live in our beautiful location with a rental on the property as well. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 24 2022, 05:58
Quote from @Thomas Kadlecek:

Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums!

I like where your mind is going? You don't need to have it all figured out. That's what causes analysis paralysis. Get the 80% solution, jump in, and learn as you go. Even if you make a mistake, holding on to real estate will erase most mistakes after 3-5 years.

Tax savings are huge! My properties make me a lot of money, but they look like losers as far as the IRS is concerned. In 2021 I made almost a half million and paid nothing in taxes. That wa an unusual year, but I always make good money and pay around 10% in taxes.

I would crunch the numbers to see how it works with you staying in your rental and renting the entire investment, then evaluate it with you living there to see the difference.

Let us know how it goes!

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Kadlecek
  • Arlington, WA
Votes |
  • Arlington, WA
Replied Nov 27 2022, 13:05

Hey, thank you for your thoughts!  I've spoken to our loan underwriter and he's encouraged us to wait until Spring of next year as he is expecting a market correction at some point.  That won't help me shelter any cash in the meantime though.  I'm going to keep gathering information and listening to more podcasts for now.  Yes, more analysis.  As far as crunching numbers go, if any of you have good ideas for how to do that....I like to play in Excel and use a spreadsheet often but if any of you have ideas for how to project the potential benefits over a year to 3-5 years of time by using any online calculators I'd love any ideas.  

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Nov 28 2022, 16:37

@Thomas Kadlecek- thanks - fyi - 1)  down payment for a rental is 15% of p[urchase price 2) get  pre approved  if  seriously  considering  a purchase  3) contact a CPA or accoutnant  for any  tax type   scenarios and  questions