Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Castaneda
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
How to use realtors in markets other than where you live?

Jennifer Castaneda
  • Plano, TX
Posted Nov 28 2022, 11:22

Hi,

I wanted to understand the process of using realtors in areas other than where you live? 

I am in the DFW area but looking outside of this area for rentals. I am looking in multiple areas. I guess my newbie question is- will I be stuck if I pick a realtor in one area but end up finding a property in another area? 

Thanks for your help!

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Nov 28 2022, 11:25

The realtor understands, that's just the name of the game. Contact realtors in areas you are interested, get on a list, filter as it comes. If you hound them with no intention, it's just a waste of time. Just because you ended up buying in Miami rather than Cleveland and 15 other cities you were looking at-- is just business. Anything could happen, it's not personal.

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Castaneda
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
  • Plano, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 11:29

@V.G Jason Perfect, that answers my question thank you!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Justin Rademacher
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Nov 28 2022, 11:31

Realtors absolutely understand. I personally have gone through this and ultimately, the really good realtors understand that it is more about building the relationship. To get the absolute best realtor, I would recommend having a list of questions that you use when you interview them. If you don't have one, I certainly can send you a list if that would be helpful. 

Make sure that the agent you are interviewing is proficient in investment properties and knows the area. This is absolutely crucial!

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Castaneda
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
  • Plano, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 11:42

@Justin RademacherThanks! Yes, I would love that list.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Gimmarro
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Nov 28 2022, 12:40

As a Realtor myself it's the name of the game, the only thing we can do is continue to mend the relationship in case you decide to buy in our area in the future! Most realtors understand this, especially if they work with investors already. 

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Hidalgo
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Nov 28 2022, 13:55
Quote from @Jennifer Castaneda:

Hi,

I wanted to understand the process of using realtors in areas other than where you live? 

I am in the DFW area but looking outside of this area for rentals. I am looking in multiple areas. I guess my newbie question is- will I be stuck if I pick a realtor in one area but end up finding a property in another area? 

Thanks for your help!

Keep your options open in each market and make sure to work with someone that is actively investing. Theory and ARV are not meeting resale values therefore investors are getting stuck and limited profits.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 20:48

You don't have to use just one realtor, use local experts, not someone you like so you use them for every market you want to invest in. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 29 2022, 05:19

If they know you are looking in multiple areas, they probably won't work very hard to find you something because they know there's little chance they'll be paid for their time.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#3 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Nov 29 2022, 05:40

@Jennifer Castaneda

how many different areas are you going to look in?  will they be in-state, or out of state?  what are you expecting the realtor to do?

you'll get out what you put in.  if you can go in person, that's a much stronger play than having a random OOS realtor send you a list of random on-market properties that probably won't cash flow.  that's no value for you or them.

why not pick 1-2 areas in state, and really invest some time in them?

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sanow
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Nov 29 2022, 05:49

Definitely free game to go to multiple markets but if you have one you like you can ask them to assist in helping you find a rockstar realtor elsewhere. They can collect a referral fee this way, and you could get an extra set of eyes on the vetting. 

User Stats

Votes
Sarita Scherpereel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 29 2022, 18:08

@Jennifer Castaneda This happens. It's the nature of the business. If you're working with an agent that is investor friendly or someone from BP they will get this. Ultimately, we want you to be successful. And you never know, you might use them on your next purchase. Keep the relationship and be honest if and when you change to other locations. 

Sarita Sells Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Castaneda
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
  • Plano, TX
Replied Nov 30 2022, 07:10

Wow. This post has been really helpful. Thank you all for your responses!

User Stats

Votes
Lucia Rushton
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Replied Nov 30 2022, 09:03

@Jennifer Castaneda absolutely we have clients that look in other areas all the time. We win some and we loose some. But ultimately my suggestion is only work with 1 Realtor per area otherwise it can get messy and confusing. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 30 2022, 09:11

Hi Jennifer,

Reiterating what the other agents have said, this is all part of the job. My one word of caution is try to find the RIGHT realtor for what you're looking for. My team- Boise TurnKey Properties- works mainly with investors here in the Boise, ID area. We get a lot of wholesale and off market deals because of this, and we understand what investors are looking for. My advice is to interview multiple agents in that area and find the one that's going to help you reach your goals. Because once you sign a buyers representation agreement with that realtor you're locked into it until it expires or their broker releases you. 

Maybe get on an REI Facebook group for the cities you're looking in and ask if the investors in that group have any suggestions on agents they like?

Best of Luck!