Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Mario Forno
Votes |
How can I make this deal happen? possible first purchase

Mario Forno
Posted Dec 1 2022, 16:12

Thank you in advance for the help/advice. 

How can I make this deal happen? My dad passed away last year. My mother (71yrs) does not want to live in the house anymore she owes $50k and is willing to sell it to me for $65k. The house needs HVAC repairs and a possible foundation leak, this is a 90sq foot home with 2 bedrooms and 1 bath. 

I currently have about 10k in the bank but I keep hearing about buying properties without using your money?? The houses in the area are selling for $130k and renting for $900 a month. 

I had an inspection done on the house and an appraisal. The inspection company gave me a punch list of the items to fix and the appraisal the comps around the area. 

My question is should I just get a loan from the bank to cover the 65K and make repairs while my mother is living in it? or should I get a loan asking for the 65k + repairs? 

Thank you again for the advice. 

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied Dec 1 2022, 20:32

Questions:

1 - What is the monthly payment your mother is paying now?

2 - What are her plans if/after she sells this house?

3 - Do you have prices attached to each of the items on that repair/rehab list yet?

User Stats

Votes
Mario Forno
Votes |
Replied Dec 1 2022, 20:47

Thank you for answering. 

1. $873 monthly, their interest is 7%

2. She is moving to an income Social Security-based apartment with everything included, her rent there will be $605 monthly

3. Yes, HVAC repairs are $8500+-, and possible foundation issue $10K+- (image attached)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 2 2022, 05:00
Quote from @Mario Forno:

If it appraises, I would recommend a loan that includes improvement costs. I don't know if it would work. Mortgage, taxes, and insurance probably run $600+. Another $100 a month for maintenance and set aside another $200 (minimum) for capex and vacancy. There's no meat on the bone. I'm not saying it couldn't work; I'm saying you need to seriously analyze it and see if it will.

Here's a guide that describes what good cash flow looks like and how to analyze a property.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Sam McCormack
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Dec 3 2022, 10:23

@Mario Forno

Hey Mario, I would get an FHA 203k if possible. It will cover up to 35k in repairs I believe