Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Micah Herrera
  • Columbus Ohio
Votes |
Mobile home flip summer between high school and college.

Micah Herrera
  • Columbus Ohio
Posted Dec 6 2022, 18:04

I am currently a senior attending high school and a vocational school and am in the construction program(I know how to do some remodeling and have peers who would appreciate some work).  I want to get into RE and gain experience in the industry and entrepreneurial forays.  I have been considering buying a mobile home using traditional methods (i.e. motivated seller, value add potential) and rehab and flipping it.  I like mobile homes because they are cheaper, don't require loans, and are at a smaller scale and thus quicker.  I have around 15k cash saved up right now and work at a restaurant bussing tables making $80-140 a night, although I am not working very much right now as I play hockey for my school.  I talked with my parents and they are not really on board, although they have no experience and are not interested in real estate at all.  I want to see what more experienced people think about my plan and appreciate any and all feedback.

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Dec 7 2022, 08:29

Find a partner......get some more experience.....keep learning and networking

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Dec 7 2022, 20:05

@Micah Herrera You may want to save your money and look for an investor to work with in the niche you're interested in within real estate. Personally, I started out in single-family homes as a bird dog looking for deals for other investors. Then I moved on to wholesaling and eventually became a buy and hold landlord of single-family homes. From there, I eventually found my niche in mobile home investing. 

What's important is not the deal itself but the experiences that you get. If you're just starting out, the best way is to learn from others who are doing what you want to do. If you have the time, you may want to offer to help an experienced investor out in exchange for learning the ropes. 

Check out your local real estate investment club. Start networking there. It may take some time to find someone to work with whose personality matches yours and vice versa. Putting time into networking and learning how to talk to people is a much needed skill as a real estate investor and one that pays for itself in the long term. 

Hope that helps! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes