Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

Getting Started In SE Michigan

Lorenzo Spurrier
Posted Dec 7 2022, 11:46

Hi, I'm a licensed Realtor/Builder in SE Michigan.  I have been in Real Estate sales for going on 5 years now.  The money is great, however, the work doesn't fulfill me at the end of the day.  I'd like to get into Real Estate investing and do residential redevelopment.  I have a few years of experience in manual labor.  I've done complete remodeling of kitchen/baths along with rough carpentry/roofing.  I have the tools, experience, education, and finances to move forward I just don't know how everyone is finding these off-market properties that turn a 10% profit at least.  It seems as if every deal I've analyzed from a number standpoint is a total loss or will result in breaking even.  What are some methods you successful investors are using to acquire and execute these transactions and turn a profit?  

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 8 2022, 06:03

Ashley started out as a waitress making $20,000 a year and she's now up to 60+ rentals making $200,000 a year. I think there's room to succeed in Detroit. Here's her podcast:

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Matt McGuire
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Montgomery, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Montgomery, TX
Replied Dec 9 2022, 07:58

You have to invest in marketing. Successful investors that are getting off-market properties are sending thousands of mailers every month to lists that they purchase. You really have to commit to that if you want off-market deals. Or you need to find someone who is doing that and get on their investor list so you get sent the wholesale deals. 

Ignite Funding  logo
Ignite Funding
|
Sponsored
Maximize Your Returns with Trust Deeds Earn 10%-12% annually on collateralized real estate investments. No fees to invest.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Wellington
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Clair Shores, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Clair Shores, MI
Replied Dec 18 2022, 15:58

Either by marketing or networking you can find off market properties. Connect with other agents and let them know what you’re looking to purchase. Go to local in person meetups or starting marketing.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Vernon Chunn
  • Wholesaler
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Dec 25 2022, 14:52

I am a local agent, wholesaler and I flip 4 to 6 properties each year. Feel free to reach out to discuss and I can point you in the right direction. TC

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jan 6 2023, 12:20

@Lorenzo Spurrier real estate investing and residential development are two different things. 

Which excites you more?