• Rental Property Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Interviewing Residential-Commercial Lenders

Michael Williams
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Posted Dec 8 2022, 16:47

I have recently secured a private lender and I've just received the funds in my account to purchase a small (2-6 unit) multi family property. I would like to speak with 5 or more lenders before I purchase a property, what are different terms and conditions I should ask for when speaking with multiple residential and commercial lenders? Should I contact local lenders at banks and credit unions in my area or should I also speak with lenders outside of my city/state?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Grabau
  • Realtor
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Dec 12 2022, 06:57

Lending broadly tends to be driven by risk reward where lenders with higher LTV will tend to have higher rates or lenders with pre payment penalties can have lower rates. I am not sure if you need to speak with 5 or more specifically, its more important that you find one that you feel comfortable with. For me, that took walking into 2 offices. The things I would want to know are:

When and how the arms adjust, what pre payment penalties exist, if it is a balloon when does it come due, longest amortization rates they feel comfortable with, highest DTI's they feel comfortable with, etc.

What you are trying to find is a bank that expresses flexibility and a strong desire to close to loan. I look for banks that are small enough that each loan is reviewed by a few people in a meeting once or twice a week, where my primary contact is one of the people at the table. 

User Stats

Votes
River Sava#3 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Dec 12 2022, 11:28

Hi Micheal- I would love to connect and discuss this with you. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes