Votes
Shane Baker
Pro Member
Votes |
Need advice on duplex as new investors

Shane Baker
Pro Member
Posted Dec 13 2022, 07:06

My partner and I purchased a duplex in August. We are now trying to get it rented out after rehab. Unfortunately we are about $40,000 over budget. The rents will not pay us back in the next 12 years. Yes we financed the rehab as it was our first purchase.  We are looking for some creative ways to make this work before we sell at a loss.  Any ideas?

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Dec 13 2022, 07:53
Quote from @Shane Baker:

My partner and I purchased a duplex in August. We are now trying to get it rented out after rehab. Unfortunately we are about $40,000 over budget. The rents will not pay us back in the next 12 years. Yes we financed the rehab as it was our first purchase.  We are looking for some creative ways to make this work before we sell at a loss.  Any ideas?

Define partner.    Unrelated investor?  SO? What were they expecting in the endeavor? 

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied Dec 13 2022, 07:58

@Shane Baker

I would rent it out and try to cashflow. Maybe in a few years you can sell it (possibly to a renter without paying an agent's commission). If you are not able to cashflow; I would probably just try to sell it.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 14 2022, 05:19
Quote from @Shane Baker:

We need hard numbers to be sure, but I suspect your best option is to sell it and take the loss. If it's a negative cashflow and you keep it as a rental, things could get worse with a few bad renters over the next 10 years and put you even further in the hole, not to mention the stress it will cause during that time. Sometimes it's best to admit a failure, accept the loss, and then regroup to try again.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 14 2022, 05:36

How much of a loss are you taking if you sell? What will it appraise for right now? Will it cash flow if you cash out refi? Pull the money out and keep some equity in there instead of selling for a loss

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Dec 14 2022, 06:48
Quote from @Shane Baker:

40k over budget is a big mistake, (assuming it was a 50- 100k budget) If it's worth more than you paid, sell it If just a little less also sell it, 12 years to break even, it will be more like 15 18, as you will have vacancies and repairs. Dump it take the hit and move on, Lesson learned 

Good luck  

User Stats

Votes
Shane Baker
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 14 2022, 07:47

Thanks everyone. Selling  is pretty much what we are looking at doing. We definitely learned a ton on this one ad won't be making those mistakes agai or at least try not to. 

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 14 2022, 08:00
Quote from @Shane Baker:

Thanks everyone. Selling  is pretty much what we are looking at doing. We definitely learned a ton on this one ad won't be making those mistakes agai or at least try not to. 

Thank you for being honest and talking about your mistakes! Real estate investing is difficult and not every deal works out, but you'll be successful over many deals and multiple decades. I would love to hear some of your lessons learned.

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Brandon, SD
Replied Dec 14 2022, 08:02
Selling at a loss is not a terrible thing as you have learned something. Would you care to tell us some of the mistakes you learned from?
Another option would be to split the duplex, condo it off, and sell one condo or both.