Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Hao Vu
Votes |
Tenant Eviction In Cleveland OH

Hao Vu
Posted Dec 13 2022, 12:15

Going through an eviction process with my tenant, and wanted to know what some of the hurtle that landlord has to jump through to get tenant evicted in the Cleveland OH market? and what the cost of having a tenant evicted? So far, my tenant has been causing me a lot of problem on top of my previous property manager refusing to refund my tenant security deposit.  

User Stats

Votes
William Salamon
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lorain, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lorain, OH
Replied Dec 13 2022, 18:03

It all starts with the 3 day notice to quit form that needs to be posted on the tenants door. You'll need an attorney lined up in Cuyahoga County as well. If you don't have an attorney please contact one in Cle area that handles these. You or your PM can post the notice yourself but you definitely need an attorney after that is done. This is not intended as legal advice and please contact one for specifics on how to proceed with that. Good luck. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 13 2022, 18:51

I will just step in and tell you that Ohio is very landlord friendly, so you won't have big troubles kicking out the tenant. I don't think it would take more than $2-3k. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Hao Vu
Votes |
Replied Dec 13 2022, 19:07
Quote from @Galen Ikonomov:

I will just step in and tell you that Ohio is very landlord friendly, so you won't have big troubles kicking out the tenant. I don't think it would take more than $2-3k. 

o.O I didn't expect the eviction would cost $2-3K. I'm working with a PM and their price for the eviction is $500. So, I'm guess the $500 is just the fees and the other stuff would cost more then. 

Thank you for your help. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 14 2022, 05:10
Quote from @Hao Vu:

Going through an eviction process with my tenant, and wanted to know what some of the hurtle that landlord has to jump through to get tenant evicted in the Cleveland OH market? and what the cost of having a tenant evicted? So far, my tenant has been causing me a lot of problem on top of my previous property manager refusing to refund my tenant security deposit.  

Here is an explanation of the process: Cleveland Evictions

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 14 2022, 07:56
Quote from @Hao Vu:

o.O I didn't expect the eviction would cost $2-3K. I'm working with a PM and their price for the eviction is $500. So, I'm guess the $500 is just the fees and the other stuff would cost more then. 

Thank you for your help. 

If that is their price, that is good for you. I have not heard an eviction to be that cheap before. Good luck anyway !

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Weiner
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, Oh
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, Oh
Replied Dec 14 2022, 09:03

The $500 would likely cover just the filing fee and legal fee.  They likely will charge more for going to court.  The big expense is that you need to have a rep from the owner/management company on site during the physical eviction and the biggest expense is the required registered and bonded movers on eviction day.  In Cleveland you also have to dispose of the trash that is removed the same day or you will get a fine from the city.  Last item is you do need to change the locks.  The movers more or less start at $500 for showing up and doing any amount of moving.  Once you add it all up I think $2,000 is a reasonable low end.  If the tenant moves out early and you don't have to get movers that will save you a lot of money.  

User Stats

Votes
Michael Orlando
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Dec 14 2022, 09:10

Really depends on the PM. Our PM in Cleveland charges like $350-400 and handles everything besides the clean out once the tenant is gone. We have to pay to remove all their stuff (we just use the crew of guys that does our renovations). Depends on the PM and how many units you have under mgmt with them though!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Weiner
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, Oh
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, Oh
Replied Dec 15 2022, 04:46
Quote from @Michael Orlando:

Really depends on the PM. Our PM in Cleveland charges like $350-400 and handles everything besides the clean out once the tenant is gone. We have to pay to remove all their stuff (we just use the crew of guys that does our renovations). Depends on the PM and how many units you have under mgmt with them though!

Is this in the City of Cleveland or a suburb?  In the city or Cleveland you need a registered bonded mover.  You can’t use a regular renovation crew, the bailiff won’t start without it.  

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Dec 16 2022, 10:36
Quote from @Hao Vu:

You need to hire a proper PM CO do not try and go it alone, it will not end well. Did you do the lead inspection, close and POS, serve them property? PM fee is meaningless The cost is about $650 you should not be involved at all 

Good luck 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Dec 16 2022, 10:38
Quote from @Hao Vu:

Thank you for your help. 

It will not be anywhere new 2k, ( not sure why someone one say that ). Its typically about 450 700. HIRE A PM CO, and let them handle. You do not want to be anywhere near this. ( I have done 100s)  If you make a mistake, it will cost another month or two. My avg eviction is about 45 days or so. Sherrif there throwing their things on the curb  

User Stats

Votes
Hao Vu
Votes |
Replied Dec 17 2022, 22:08
Quote from @Andrew Weiner:
Quote from @Michael Orlando:

Is this in the City of Cleveland or a suburb?  In the city or Cleveland you need a registered bonded mover.  You can’t use a regular renovation crew, the bailiff won’t start without it.  

This is in the city. Currently in working with my PM to short thing out with the tenant try to resolve it internally before I get the court involve. 

User Stats

Votes
Erik E.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orlando FL /Cleveland OH/Detroit MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orlando FL /Cleveland OH/Detroit MI
Replied Apr 17 2023, 16:01

Eviction-$200
Docket Clerk Fee-$40
Print & Material Fee-$10
Court Cost-Eviction Complaint-$110
This is what we pay for our evictions with the lawyer. My PM is terrible so I process many of them. Typically the full clean out for the Cleveland units are $400+ a unit depending on the actual clean out.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Graves
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Apr 20 2023, 07:47

Do you own it personally or through an LLC, if its in an LLC you will need a lawyer to file with the courthouse. I have a great firm if you need assistance I have used them on a few evictions here in the past. It really isnt a costly experience but it will take 3 months once you file. Courts are slow on judgements.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Apr 25 2023, 05:05
Quote from @Hao Vu:

You should not be involved at all, NOT EVEN 1%. The PM co should handle . Tenants in Cleveland can be very good at staying longer. I have extensive experience out there. 

1st 3 day, then file, 99% of the time their out in about 45 days. HOWEVER, you doing it with zero experience, well, it will not end well. COST about $550- 700 

User Stats

Votes
Hao Vu
Votes |
Replied Apr 25 2023, 13:01
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:

You should not be involved at all, NOT EVEN 1%. The PM co should handle . Tenants in Cleveland can be very good at staying longer. I have extensive experience out there. 

1st 3 day, then file, 99% of the time their out in about 45 days. HOWEVER, you doing it with zero experience, well, it will not end well. COST about $550- 700 

I definitely experience it firsthand. I just recently got them moved out and now the work begin in getting the unit rent ready. Praying it would cost me an arm and a leg.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Apr 25 2023, 13:17
Quote from @Hao Vu:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:

I definitely experience it firsthand. I just recently got them moved out and now the work begin in getting the unit rent ready. Praying it would cost me an arm and a leg.

why are you doing it alone, TERRRIBLE idea?  You will continue to take loses. You will overpay for repairs, you will more than likely get ripped off from the contractor. No need for all the aggravation and loses. All you need is to connect with someone that is doing deals there with a trusted team

Good luck 

User Stats

Votes
Hao Vu
Votes |
Replied Apr 25 2023, 18:13
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:

why are you doing it alone, TERRRIBLE idea?  You will continue to take loses. You will overpay for repairs, you will more than likely get ripped off from the contractor. No need for all the aggravation and loses. All you need is to connect with someone that is doing deals there with a trusted team

Good luck 

I’m not doing this alone. I have a PM that handle the eviction and it’s taking longer than I expected. The eviction started in January and it took until April for the court to approve the eviction with the bailiff. Now that the tenant has move out, I learned they trash the place and I had to spend like $2k to clean up the mess before the PM team can move in and fix the place again. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Apr 26 2023, 05:09
Quote from @Hao Vu:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:

Good luck 

I’m not doing this alone. I have a PM that handle the eviction and it’s taking longer than I expected. The eviction started in January and it took until April for the court to approve the eviction with the bailiff. Now that the tenant has move out, I learned they trash the place and I had to spend like $2k to clean up the mess before the PM team can move in and fix the place again. 

Not sure who you are using, but 4 months is much longer than it should take, typically 45 DAYS. I know everyone out there, if you would like help feel free to reach out. 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Graves
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Apr 29 2023, 07:33
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:

Good luck 

Not sure who you are using, but 4 months is much longer than it should take, typically 45 DAYS. I know everyone out there, if you would like help feel free to reach out. 

Its been terribly long this year like I commented before I think its averaging 3 months now. For some reason they aren't setting move out dates timely. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Apr 29 2023, 13:28
Quote from @Jacob Graves:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:

Good luck 

Its been terribly long this year like I commented before I think its averaging 3 months now. For some reason they aren't setting move out dates timely. 

Again not correct, typically 45 days, Not sure who you are working with but they do not see they are very competent 

All the best 

User Stats

Votes
Hao Vu
Votes |
Replied Apr 29 2023, 14:26
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:

Good luck 

Again not correct, typically 45 days, Not sure who you are working with but they do not see they are very competent 

All the best 

Thanks Bob. I've been trying my best to keep track on the progress, but for some reason I've been hitting a lot of misfortune with this property. Hopefully it can turn around in a few weeks. Now, that the tenant are gone i can finally focus on getting the property back to where it needs to be. Going to see how long it's going take to make the property rent ready again. If I don't hear anything from my PM in a few weeks I will definitely reach out to you for new PM references. 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Hao Vu
Votes |
Replied Apr 29 2023, 14:28
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Hao Vu:

Good luck 

I think most the eviction is being hold at the court level. It take me a while to get a hearing date.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.