Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Roman Puzey
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver CO
Votes |
Help Estimate Utilities in Denver (Electricity, Gas, Water,Trash)

Roman Puzey
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver CO
Posted Dec 14 2022, 16:07

Need help estimating utilities cost for a duplex or a triplex in surrounding Denver area. Planning on living in one side and renting out the other side/two sides (if a triplex). Still looking for a property but this is to help me estimate the cash flow using Rental Report tool on BP

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 15 2022, 04:36
Quote from @Roman Puzey:

Need help estimating utilities cost for a duplex or a triplex in surrounding Denver area. Planning on living in one side and renting out the other side/two sides (if a triplex). Still looking for a property but this is to help me estimate the cash flow using Rental Report tool on BP

Call the utility providers. They can typically give you an estimate based on the last year of use.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Dec 15 2022, 06:17

You can estimate utilities only to a certain degree . It all depends on the number of tenants , their lifestyle , and work habits . 

Example , Have a 2/1 SFH that I rented to a guy , he worked 10 hours a day , had uniforms , and ate out often . House was all electric . His average bill was $160 per month .

Then a single mother moved in , she cooked a lot , did lots of laundry , worked from home 2 days a week , kept the house warm and toasty in the winter and cool in the summer . Her bill averaged $390 a month .   Same house 

Plan for worse case scenario 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.