• New to Real Estate
  • Alberta, Canada
Votes |
Real Estate Investing and Tax Laws for Alberta,Canada

Tyson Knelsen
  • New to Real Estate
  • Alberta, Canada
Posted Dec 27 2022, 17:47

Hey all, I am new to the real estate investing world and will be starting up an investing company with two additional partners in the new year. Our goal is to focus on Air BnB’s in the Alberta area. I’m just looking for some resources on valuable courses/seminars I can take to learn relevant information about real estate investing in Alberta in general as well as the way taxes work and keeping as much of my money as possible with operating a real estate investing company. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Stevo Sun
  • Calgary, AB
Votes |
  • Calgary, AB
Replied Dec 27 2022, 18:21
Quote from @Tyson Knelsen:

Hey all, I am new to the real estate investing world and will be starting up an investing company with two additional partners in the new year. Our goal is to focus on Air BnB’s in the Alberta area. I’m just looking for some resources on valuable courses/seminars I can take to learn relevant information about real estate investing in Alberta in general as well as the way taxes work and keeping as much of my money as possible with operating a real estate investing company. Thanks!

I think if you are running an active business you would be taxed as a business. When you take money out of the business through dividends or salary you'll get taxed for income. The way most people shelter income is leaving the money in the business and re investing it. There are specific exclusions for rental income. You are not considered to be an active business if you just have rental properties. 

CRA Info Below

Find out if you have rental income or business income
To determine whether your rental income is from property or business, consider the number and types of services you provide for your tenants.

In most cases, you are earning an income from your property if you rent space and provide basic services only. Basic services include heat, light, parking and laundry facilities. If you provide additional services to tenants, such as cleaning, security and meals, you may be carrying on a business. The more services you provide, the greater the chance that your rental operation is a business.

https://www.canada.ca/en/reven...

User Stats

Votes
Ken Didychuk
  • Investor
  • Red Deer, AB
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Red Deer, AB
Replied Jan 10 2023, 19:46

You may want to consult a local accountant and find those resources *before* starting up the company. Especially if you have two partners. There are a lot of moving parts and really, a local lawyer should be part of the conversation as well. 

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Bo Fric
Votes |
Quote from @Tyson Knelsen:

One piece of advice I would give on this is to really talk to a lot of local mortgage brokers here about your plan. The AirBnB model is great and I was really looking to expand in this area. The problem is the big 5 Canadian banks are very averse to short-term rentals right now. You shouldn't have a problem getting one or two mortgages, but if the bank starts asking for rental agreements and you try to show them short-term rental receipts (even if they are excellent), you can find yourself running into roadblocks quickly. 

This is a bigger problem for refinancing properties than for purchasing new, as the banks will want do dig into your cash-flow more for your debt service.