Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
David Bourgouin
Votes |
Title company asking for additional "fee" 5 days after closing?!?

David Bourgouin
Posted Dec 28 2022, 06:29

We closed on our home and everything on the closing disclosure document was exactly what we received prior to closing. 5 days later we get this;

Hi XXXX and XXXX,

Attached please find an updated Closing Disclosure regarding your closing you had with us last week. The lender added a document prep fee of $75 that was not included on the CD previously, and they have asked that you sign this one. You can either sign and email a scanned copy back me or I can send it to you through Qualia to e-sign. Since that fee has been added, that means you will also need to pay an additional $75 to us.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

So the way we are reading this, the title company (the CD shows the $75 fee as Doc prep fee paid to title company) is asking for an additional $75 which was never mentioned prior to closing on any document and the attorney handling the transaction is also asking for $75, assuming for their work in sending updated CD. 

Does this make any sense? To me this would appear to break some laws, any insight would be greatly appreciated! Oh and to note, the Title company had a $795 fee for settlement services, so would I be safe to assume their $75 prep fee should simply come out of that???

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied Dec 28 2022, 06:45

One of the documents you signed indicated that if there were any errors or omissions in the documents you signed, they could be corrected.  In other words, it is highly unlikely anything illegal is going on.  They probably intended to tack on the fee in your preliminary closing docs and forgot until someone was reviewing the docs post-closing.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 28 2022, 07:18
Quote from @David Bourgouin:

I agree with Greg. You probably signed a document that said they are allowed to make corrections after the fact. However, I would contact the lender and ask them to waive that fee since it wasn't your fault. They may just write it off.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes