Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey Kingman
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Seeking knowledge: How-To for "crunching the numbers"?

Jeffrey Kingman
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Dec 29 2022, 18:22

Hi all - we are just starting out and curious if anyone might know of templates, blogposts, books, or other educational content we can use to learn how to "crunch the numbers" on property investing (for different scenarios; i.e., for STR, for MTR, for LTR, etc., etc.)

Many many thanks and Happy New Year.

JJK

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 29 2022, 21:05

There are tons of calculators here on BP for free you can use. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan A.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Sunnyvale CA and Maplewood, NJ
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Sunnyvale CA and Maplewood, NJ
Replied Dec 30 2022, 06:29

I would start by learning how to analyze for LTR and then expand to STR or MTR once you have done a few. Here's a good blog post on how to analyze a property for LTR by Brandon Turner. Chapter 5 of his book, "The Book on Rental Property Investing," is about how to analyze a property. Some of the webinars that BiggerPockets offers often touch to greater or lesser degree on analyzing deals -- you might try attending this one.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 30 2022, 06:49

Here's a guide that describes what good cash flow looks like and how to analyze a property.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

It will be the same for long-term or shor-term rentals. Income - Expenses - Reserves = cashflow

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey Kingman
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Dec 31 2022, 05:52

Thanks Eliott, Nathan A., and Nathan G. I appreciate the help. We are starting out here in ATL (a bit later in life). So much to learn! JJK

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 31 2022, 17:43

Thank you all!!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Stonestreet
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 31 2022, 18:14

You're in the right place, loads of free content on Bigger Pockets! From the forums, to the calculators, videos, webinars and ESPECIALLY the Podcast. I would listen to every podcast episode from Bigger Pockets that sounds appealing to you and would also recommend the Bigger Pockets Real Estate Rookie podcast.

I took about 3 years of analyzing and learning before I finally jumped in and purchased my first investment property. Now I wish I would've started much sooner. Don't jump in just to do it. But once you have studied and feel confident in running numbers, GO FOR IT!! You will only wish you started sooner.